ONTAP Hardware

NetApp SSD vs. RamSan SSD

petter_glenstrup

Hi

Does any of you know what the difference of a RamSan SSD to a NetApp SSD storage solution ?

I tried to search fieldportal but there are not any information’s about the technical differences of the 2 solution.

5 REPLIES 5

radek_kubka

Hi,

The former is just another 'native' NetApp drive which you slot into a NetApp shelf & manage as usual (with all the caveats), whilst the latter requires V-Series gateway (http://communities.netapp.com/message/13765#13765)

Regards,

Radek

Hi

Maybe I asked  the question wrong.

But can a NetApp SSD solution compete with a RamSan SSD solution, if yes what are the SSD specific advantage of the NetApp solution, if you benchmark it against a RamSan SSD solution.

Regards

Petter

It is for at very demanding web services.

I would ask if FlexCache (PAMII) coul be dedicated to only one Volume.

On FAS3140 with 2x2-512GB PAMII cards. Could they be configured to a dedicated state, where the web service LUN would be, and the data would be only on the PAMII and never touch disk drives. Then the customer wouldn’t need the RAMSAN-620-1TB or the SSD drives ?

This way we would get the customer to use NetApp storage all the way.

It is possible (or, at least, close to it) using flexshare. See TR-3832 for details. Basically you can globally disable PAM but enable it for one volume only.

I will take a second look at the TR.

Is it possible to use only one of the FAS3140HA controllers, since it is a web service the customer do not have any raid demand.

If it possible I would put 2 x 512GB cards in one controller, and make it dedicated.

But everything else on the FAS3140 Is HA enable.

Would the FAS-HA solution support this “PAM-II drive” in only one controller or will it be unsupported.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public