ONTAP Hardware

Netapp FAS3140 CIFS share bit slow

rashid_info

I've e0a & e0b configured as vif1 & e0M for management port, why I'm getting this log warning message & how it is affecting our storage speed.

My write speed from FAS 4130 to FAS3140 CIFS share is 20 MB/s , is it okay ??? I don't want to put my e0M port on different subnet.keeping in e0M in same subnet is an issue ???

Sun Mar 11 00:00:00 AST [netapp02: kern.log.rotate:notice]: System netapp02 (ID XXXXXXXXX) is running NetApp Release 7.3.6

Sun Mar 11 00:00:10 AST [netapp02: net.if.mgmt.sameSubnet:warning]: ifconfig: IP address 'XX.XX.XX.XX' configured on dedicated management port 'e0M' is on the same subnet as IP address 'XX.XX.XX.XX' configured on data port vif2. Management IP addresses must be on dedicated management subnets.

Sun Mar 11 00:10:00 AST [netapp02: net.if.mgmt.defaultGateway:warning]: route: Default route with gateway 'XX.XX.XX.XX' is targeted to dedicated management port 'e0M'. Data traffic using this route might be throttled due to low bandwidth, or dropped if a protocol filter is configured.

Sun Mar 11 00:10:00 AST [netapp02: net.if.mgmt.sameSubnet:warning]: ifconfig: IP address 'XX.XX.XX.XX' configured on dedicated management port 'e0M' is on the same su

bnet as IP address 'XX.XX.XX.XX' configured on data port vif2. Management IP addresses must be on dedicated management subnets.

13 REPLIES 13

rashid_info

My write speed from FAS 3140 to FAS3140 CIFS share is 20 MB/s

aborzenkov
I don't want to put my e0M port on different subnet. 

Why do you need to configure e0M if it is in the same subnet? e0M makes sense only if you have dedicated subnet for administration and do not want to waste 1GbE port for it.

keeping in e0M in same subnet is an issue ??? 

Yes.

rashid_info

If I'll disable e0M then you think that this slowness will be solved ??? I mean then data should not get routed through e0M ?

aborzenkov

You said you see 20MB/s which exceeds 100Mb/s of e0M port. So it is probably won't help in this particular case.

rashid_info

what to do to make sure data not get routed through e0M port ? only through vif1 (e0a  +e0b) so that I can maxmm through-put.

sometime I get 40 MB/s while copying data from (windows 2008 r2 disk to netall cifs share),windows 2008 R2 server of clubbed network card (NW1 +NW2 +NW3 +NW4) , total 4 GBps ,

including all 4 gigabit network card on windows 2008 r2 servere will help in enhancing a data speed ?? from server to netapp cifs share ?

HENRYPAN2

Rashid,

You may wish to go through a KB article on this:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010557

Good luck

Henry

rashid_info

I've disable my e0M port, now "route -s" is showing all "vif1" but the speed of reading & writing is same as like before in-fact I can say lesser then earlier.what to do now ?? If I'm copying any CIFS shared folder of 4 Gb in the other volume of same filler , writing speed is varying in between 18 MB/s to 30 MB/s.

Is this speed is fair for FAs 3140 ???? what to do now to increase a NAS (read, write) speed.

thomas_glodde

Hi there,

NetApp1> priv set diag

Warning: These diagnostic commands are for use by NetApp

personnel only.

NetApp1*> registry walk options.cifs.tc

options.cifs.tcp_compat_mpx=8

options.cifs.tcp_window_size=17520

Check your tcp window size, if you want better performance for sequential read/write, you need to increase it. Be aware that it will increase needed amount of memory on the machine. Usualy the default is fine for daily workloads, only change it if you have few clients who do large sequential i/o, for example CAD workstations or media editing. Go for 256k if you want to have 1GBit wirespeed.

Regards,

Thomas

mike_burris

I'd  be curious to know what the system is already doing... For example, how much network traffic is already flowing over that network connection?  How many disks (and what type?) are in the underlying aggregate for that CIFS share/vol?  Are there any other vols on that aggr that may be hitting the disks harder?

rashid_info

System having 10 CIFS share of 5 TB each, having 6 SATA shelf with filler 2 & 2 FC disk shelf with Filler1 (FAS 3140).no other volume. we are getting 15 Mb/s to 30 MB/s write speed when copying from 1 CIFS share to another CIFS share os same filler.

Please guide what can be done to enhance a speed, is there anything (LOGS or COMMAND output) which you  need to make a point ?????

scottgelb

Also using a single stream to measure performance isn't going to push maximum throughput... you need to aggregate several streams and use those numbers... downloading the SIO utility is a good start then you can change read/write%, random/sequential%, block size, # streams and then see what throughputs you get with different scenarios.  There are other tuning parameters like the window size already mentioned that can be modified but a single stream isn't going to go any faster and those would be looked at when you run more streams for testing... 30MB/s for a single stream isn't out of the norm... I'm interested if you run additional copies (even from other servers) if you get more linear I/O... maybe 60 then 85MB/s for example when you add 2 and 3 streams.

windsurf1970

We had the same problem with slow writes to the filer - about 20 MB/s.  After turning virus scanning off, our throughput doubled to around 40 MB/s. The command to turn virus scanning off is "vscan off".  I'm not sure how useful viruscanning is or how often it's database can be updated, but we're keeping ours off for now.  Hope that helps. 

Public