ONTAP Hardware

Removal of Cluster and SyncMirror

alexander7

Hello All!

I want to disable SyncMirror and Cluster on two filers FAS3140 under Data ONTAP 7.3.5.1. Shall I need to disrupt the access to LUNs on these filers?

Thank you if you answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Yes, you will. You will need to completely shutdown both filers to remove cluster licenses.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

SyncMirror should be pretty straightforward, after you unmirrored all aggregates. For Cluster you can check this KB: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011576. If you have Fabric MetroCluster, oyu may consider to connecting shelves directly and not via switches.

alexander7

Thank you for your answer!

I've looked at the KB article you mentioned. I am not sure whether FAS3140 belongs to family FAS3000. Does it?

Thank you if you answer.

aborzenkov

No, FAS31xx is different model. For a start, it does not have dedicated NVRAM card.

Now when I think about it - do you have single chassis dual head HA system? Why would you want to remove cluster license then?

alexander7

Thank you for your answer.

We disable everything because we need more free space during some time.

I think we won't delete SyncMirror license. We'll just delete its mirrors and change the ownership for disks.

The normal MetroCluster insists on mirroring of the root volume. So we'll better disable it.

aborzenkov

So you do have Metro Cluster after all …

In this case you will need to also remove FC-VI adapter; otherwise system will insist that you must be running cluster.

alexander7

Unfortunately, I could not understand whether I'll have to disrupt the access to LUNs if I disable Metro Cluster and FC-VI adapters.

Thank you for your answer anyway!

aborzenkov

Yes, you will. You will need to completely shutdown both filers to remove cluster licenses.

Public