ONTAP Hardware

Replacement SAS disk is reporting as a SATA disk

DanLikesNetapp

Hi Everyone,

I have a FAS2040 running DataONTAP 8.1.4P1 in 7-Mode with a DS2246 diskshelf attached.

I've replaced one of the HDDs in the diskshelf - a 600GB, 10K 2.5" SAS disk.

The replacement disk is a Seagate - I've swapped it into the NetApp caddy.

However when I install it the filer reports it as being a SATA disk (not a SAS) disk.

I don't seem to be able to convince it otherwise, and in the absence of any better infomation I'm leaning towards a 'NetApp Hitachi' only situation.

I know there was a point in the recent history of DataONTAP when vendor agnostic drives came into play.   I've been trying to determine when that point was without much luck (although there's been some great ancillary reading in there).

If anyone could provide any advice or assistance I'd be grateful.

Regards,

-Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

@DanLikesNetapp wrote:

I've swapped it into the NetApp caddy.

Only drives from NetApp (with NetApp firmware) are supported.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

@DanLikesNetapp wrote:

I've swapped it into the NetApp caddy.

Only drives from NetApp (with NetApp firmware) are supported.

DanLikesNetapp

Thank you - appreciated.  I shall order a drive.

If you know, would you be able to advise when I can use 'any drive'?

As I recall, one of the features of Clustered DataONTAP 8 was that it was vendor agnostic with regard to drives - you could use 'any drive' that had the right specifications.

Thanks again!

-Dan

aborzenkov

@DanLikesNetapp wrote:

As I recall, one of the features of Clustered DataONTAP 8 was that it was vendor agnostic with regard to drives - you could use 'any drive' that had the right specifications.

Data ONTAP has always been vendor agnostic - the same NetApp drive part number usually is provided by several different vendors.

Public