ONTAP Hardware

Replacing FAS 2040R5 Controller

amitkeshani

To Experts,

Following are the  errors I encountered upon replacing a  FAS 2040 Controller,

Upon autoboot  of the newly replaced controller I got the following error

* Autoboot of primat_image failed. File not found (-18)

Then I performed the follow steps in-order to bring the controller up

1. First performing boot_diags on loader results into following error

LOADER-B> boot_diags

Could not load fat://boot0/X86/diag/kernel fat://boot0/X86_ELF/diag/diag.krn: Fi le not found

2. Secondly i tried performing a netboot using tftp server, it results into following error

LOADER-B> netboot tftp://192.168.1.1/734_netboot.e

Loading 192.168.1.1/734_netboot.e:Failed: Timeout occured Could not load tftp://192.168.1.1/734_netboot.e: Timeout occured

*** command status = -21

The reason i am doing this is to boot into maintenance mode and get the system id, and  reassign those disks again.

on the other hand,on test basis i ran this command

LOADER-B> boot_primary

Could not load fat://boot0/X86/freebsd/image1/kernel fat://boot0/X86_ELF/kernel/

primary.krn: File not found

*** command status = -18

All it reports is kernel error

Please advise a way forward

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Did you move CF card from old controller to replacement one? Kernel is located on CF card, usually when you replace head you move it to ensure the same kernel version. In your case it appears that CF card on replacement head does not contain any kernel at all.

To do netboot you need to manually configure interface in loader (settings are not persistent, you have to do it every time after reboot). See https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1012003&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1304058775436

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

aborzenkov

Did you move CF card from old controller to replacement one? Kernel is located on CF card, usually when you replace head you move it to ensure the same kernel version. In your case it appears that CF card on replacement head does not contain any kernel at all.

To do netboot you need to manually configure interface in loader (settings are not persistent, you have to do it every time after reboot). See https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1012003&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1304058775436

amitkeshani

Hi,

It truly makes sense, however the only removable parts in  the controller i encountered was NVRAM battery and SFP, please advise if there is anything other removable components.

aborzenkov

CF is located on the bottom side under slide cover:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/filer/215-01810_E0.pdf

---

With best regards

Andrey Borzenkov

Senior system engineer

Service operations

amitkeshani

Hi Andrey,

Following your instructions opening  FAS 2040, the sliding cover [top] doesn't contain any CF Card on its underside, its a bare metal

please advise what shiould i do to bring this controller up.

Is there a possibility that CF Card is on board, and needs to be overwritten with new kernel.

Thanks

aborzenkov

Have you actually read document that describes controller replacement?

“Remove the controller module, locate the boot device compartment on the underside of the controller module, and then

remove the boot device cover.

The boot device is to the right of center, near the I/O ports.”

It even has picture showing where it is located.

amitkeshani

Hi,

Thanks for your support, actually i found the CF Card and replaced it from the old one

It read the the ONTAP 7.3.4 but i received the foolowing error upon boot up

Shutting down thMon May  2 15:55:40 GMT [nvmem.battery.sensor.unread:info]: The
battery state of the battery-backed memory (NVMEM) Batt 8.0V is not readable.
Mon May  2 15:55:40 GMT [nvmem.battery.sensor.unread:info]: The battery state of
the battery-backed memory (NVMEM) Batt Amp is not readable.
Mon May  2 15:55:40 GMT [nvmem.battery.unreadable:CRITICAL]: The battery sensor
of the battery-backed memory (NVMEM) Batt Run Time is not readable.
Mon May  2 15:55:40 GMT [nvmem.battery.sensor.unread:info]: The battery state of
the battery-backed memory (NVMEM) Batt Temp is not readable.
Mon May  2 15:55:40 GMT [nvmem.voltage.high:CRITICAL]: The NVMEM supply voltage
is high and the system is at a high risk of data loss if power fails.
e system because of NVMEM 8.0V is in critical high state: Current reading is 975
1 mV, critical high threshold is 8604 mV.
System will be powered down in 60 seconds
-----MINI-MONITOR-----
    ?           bye         sync
ok
ok
ok
ok

And the system shutdown

I restrated the controller  upon bootup it gave me the following error

BIOS8 Modular BIOS
Copyright (C) 1985-2009,  American Megatrends, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Portions Copyright (C) 2009 NetApp, Inc. All Rights Reserved
BIOS Version 6.0
pre-init time           [bmc.batt.unseal:err]: Cannot unseal battery (cmd=0x414)
pre-init time           [bmc.batt.seal:err]: Cannot reseal battery (cmd=0x20)

I initiated to boot into maintenance mode by pressing Ctrl-C

Waiting for nvram battery chargeupPress Ctrl-C for Maintenance menu to release d
isks.
Tue Jul 14  0:10:00 GMT [bmc.batt.unseal:err]: Cannot unseal battery (cmd=0x414)
Tue Jul 14  0:10:01 GMT [bmc.batt.seal:err]: Cannot reseal battery (cmd=0x20)

NetApp Release 7.3.4: Thu May 27 17:52:48 PDT 2010
Copyright (c) 1992-2010 NetApp.
Starting boot on Tue Jul 14 00:00:32 GMT 2009
Tue Jul 14 00:01:49 GMT [nvram.battery.turned.on:info]: The NVRAM battery is tur
ned ON. It is turned OFF during system shutdown.
Reservation conflict found on this node's disks!
Local System ID: 142221557
Waiting for nvram battery chargeupPress Ctrl-C for Maintenance menu to release d
isks.

aborzenkov

Is NVMEM battery installed on replacement controller?

Link I gave you gives step by step instructions what to do to replace controller. Did you read and follow it?

amitkeshani

Hi,

I followed the document step by step, however the controller boots, but the following error on the NVRAM Battery is being reported.
See the attached logs

The NVRAM Battery in the controller is
P/No: 271-00024, 18.5Wh, 7.4volt 2.5Ah Li-Ion Rechargable Battery

DOM: 2010-07-19
NetApp:-271-00024+C0

aborzenkov

I think you really should open support case at this point. Assuming everything was connected properly there could be some firmware updates required, and NetApp support is in the best position to check and advice here.

UNDECIDED

Hi all, I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I've got the same issue described here after replacing the controller, I followed the replacement instructions as detailed.

"[bmc.batt.unseal:err]: Cannot unseal battery (cmd=0x414)

[bmc.batt.seal:err]: Cannot reseal battery (cmd=0x20)"

I'm slightly apprehensive to perform a controller firmware update if it's not needed, so has anyone come across this and can confirm a firmware update did the trick or if they have any other solution please.

Many thanks!

Public