ONTAP Hardware

Repurposing old FAS2220 - Can't shrink vol0

Sysadmin267

Hey all,

New to this forum and to Netapp. I was tasked to repurpose a FAS2220 for our school district. Our FAS2220 is running OnTap 8.1 and was originally connected to a VMWare server stack.

I have to repurpose this array to be backup but I have little experience with NetApp's and I am trying to zero it out so I can move from NFS to CIFS. Vol0 was the only vol and aggr created - and It is at 95% full. I tried vol size vol0 162g (the minimum amount allowed by OnTap) but the Netapp reports the volume size is too small to hold the current volume data. I don't care about the data in vol0 so how do I get rid of it?

I need to create a LUN but the aggr0 shows as only having 600+g free. How do I clear/format/erase the used space on this array? I can't find a path to success.

Thanks to anyone who responds...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andris

Assuming:

1. Your FAS2220 still has NetApp Support entitlement and you have access top ONTAP software

2. You don't care about any existing data

I would just initialize the system and upgrade to Data ONTAP 8.2.5P3 (if you're sticking with 7-Mode).

KB: How to re-initialize / re-install / 4a Data ONTAP on a NetApp controller

If you really want to squeeze the best out of the FAS2220 in terms of storage efficiency, consider leaving 7-Mode behind and going to ONTAP 9.1P19 (ONTAP 9.1 is the terminal ONTAP release for FAS22xx).

You can follow this KB for instructions (it's a bit complicated):

KB: How to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x or later 7-Mode node to a clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 node

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sergey_Osipov

Basically I can recommend you to start looking through Netapp University courses

https://www.netapp.com/us/services-support/university/index.aspx#training

you can start with basic concepts and then slightly move forward.

you are not able to shrink vol0 volume because it doesn' contain user data and never supposed it - this volume is a system volume.

andris

Assuming:

1. Your FAS2220 still has NetApp Support entitlement and you have access top ONTAP software

2. You don't care about any existing data

I would just initialize the system and upgrade to Data ONTAP 8.2.5P3 (if you're sticking with 7-Mode).

KB: How to re-initialize / re-install / 4a Data ONTAP on a NetApp controller

If you really want to squeeze the best out of the FAS2220 in terms of storage efficiency, consider leaving 7-Mode behind and going to ONTAP 9.1P19 (ONTAP 9.1 is the terminal ONTAP release for FAS22xx).

You can follow this KB for instructions (it's a bit complicated):

KB: How to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x or later 7-Mode node to a clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 node

andris

If you want to use GUI-based setup, you can use System Setup 3.1 if you're going with 8.2.5P3 7-Mode.

If you're going with ONTAP 9.1P19, you can use the OnCommand System Manager web interface.

Public