ONTAP Hardware

Wiring Guide for FAS2240-4 + DS4243 Shelf

TYGARBYTE

Hi - We have a filer installed over a year ago now. When we had it installed we assumed that it was done properly as this is our first NetApp device. After getting warning errors from the filer and further reading - investigating I believe that the SAS wiring is incorrect.

Below is the current wiring of our production NetApp.

From reading the ACP is wired correctly - however when i run the config advisor I get the following errors. Which I believe the sas wiring is incorrect.

whats the correct way to wire this?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanLuce

The SAS cabling is definitely incorrect.

The key rule to remember is "Circle to Square".  All cables should go from a Circle port to a square port.

Top Controller (A) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Top (A) module Square port

Bottom Controller (B) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Bottom (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Top (A) module circle port connects to Bottom Controller (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Bottom (B) module circle port connects to Top Controller (A) Square port

Cabling actually becomes clearer when you have more than one shelf.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SeanLuce

The SAS cabling is definitely incorrect.

The key rule to remember is "Circle to Square".  All cables should go from a Circle port to a square port.

Shelf 1 Top (A) module circle port connects to Bottom Controller (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Bottom (B) module circle port connects to Top Controller (A) Square port

Cabling actually becomes clearer when you have more than one shelf.

Good luck!

gavin_meadows

This is how i'd do it:

i've used colours to illustrate the 'loop' to each controller.  You can see that IOMA from the shelf has a path (blue) to each controller and IOMB has a path (Red) to each controller.

22733_SAS Cabling.png

As stated above just remember circle->square, circle->square and you'll be good.  eg follow the blue path from Controller 1 (circle), to shelf 1 IOMA (Square) from Shelf 1 IOMA (Circle) to Controller 2 (Square).

The same is true when you follow the nred path from Controller 2

0a & 0b are the opposite way round on my diagram (0a= circle)

Gavin

gavin_meadows

also see the Universal SAS Cabling guide:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1280392

SeanLuce

Your picture shows a 3000 series controller.  The 2240 series has "Circle" and "Square" icons on the the controller itself.  If you cable a 2240 the way your picture shows, config advisor WILL still complain.  While technically it would work and is fully HA multipathed.

If you are looking at the back of a 2240, Square is on the left and circle is on the right.  In your drawing you have a circle port going to a circle port and technically not following the circle -> square rule.

On a 2240, circles always go to squares, even the bottom (shelft back to the controller) connections.

gavin_meadows

I added a comment earlier on my post that the 0a and 0b port are the opposite way around on this controller to the OPs diagram (it's the only stencil i had to hand)

sorry for the confusion

SeanLuce

I missed that note.  Makes sense.  Hopefully the OP is more confused now than he was before

gavin_meadows

OK to hopefully clear up the confussion (I created )I re-did the diagram with the correct stencil/controller:

22748_SAS 2240.png

Hope this helps!

TYGARBYTE

Thanks guys, Yes it is confusing first time round - all new to me.

From reading the wiring guide - closest example of our current setup for 2240-4 would be on page 43 ( although it is for a 2050 series - but the wiring guide is universal )

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1280392

FAS2050 multipath HA configuration with one disk shelf

The SAS port cabling sequence for each controller is 1a,1b.

When I copy the cable wiring to our current FAS2240-4, following the circle > square relationship. it would look like below.

Which is also the same as the FAS2240-2 with external shelf,

and also same as

Now the fun part of correcting this - without effecting current production systems on the filer.

Public