Object Storage

Quick question on ILM Rules and the Default rule

Northman

Is it the default rule run on ingested objects anyhow or just when not hit by filtering rules? Also see my attachments for an example. Here some objects less than 1 MB are made 2 copies on one site. Another rule specifies erasure coding scheme for objects bigger than 1 MB. Both rules also specify tenant and bucket name.  So my question is if 2 copies are made on all nodes in addition to the filtering rules? Or just if filtering rules are not hit, ie. if tenant/bucket is not specified.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jacques_AMS

Hopefully this helps : https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/storagegrid-117/ilm/creating-default-ilm-rule.html

So:

• The default rule is automatically placed as the last rule in the policy.

• The default rule can't use any basic or advanced filters.

• The default rule must apply to all object versions.

• The default rule should create replicated copies.

Default ingest behavior cannot be changed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

elementx

Are the docs not clear?

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/storagegrid-117/ilm/data-protection-options-for-ingest.html#flowchart-of-ingest-options

If this isn't clear, how would you want to improve this section?

Northman

The doc makes it clearer, but it does not mention how to set a default ingest option. It says that "Balanced" is the default. In my environment, "Dual Commit" is the default.  At the same time it says in the GUI that "Rules are evaluated in order, starting from the top". This is confusing, because the default rule, "Make 2 copies" uses "Dual commit" ingest behaviour, and is designated as "Default" in the "Default" column in the Grid Policy.

elementx

> This is confusing, because the default rule, "Make 2 copies" uses "Dual commit" ingest behaviour,

If you are confused about the order of evaluation of ILM rules, then you can read other parts of the documentation.

And your non-default rules also pick Balanced ingest, so there's not a single rule (among those three) that wouldn't use "Balanced" if matched.

elementx_0-1706526841520.png

Northman

where in the documentation is it described how to set the default rule?

Jacques_AMS

Hopefully this helps : https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/storagegrid-117/ilm/creating-default-ilm-rule.html

So:

• The default rule is automatically placed as the last rule in the policy.

Default ingest behavior cannot be changed.

Northman

Thanks.

I gather:

"Before creating an ILM policy, you must create a default rule to place any objects not matched by another rule in the policy. The default rule can't use any filters. It must apply to all tenants, all buckets, and all object versions."

But Still not crystal clear. What if you have many rules and they all qualify as a default rule?

E.g,

Or is this perhaps not possible once I have created one default rule? If this is the case,  I think this info should be included in the documentation.

Jacques_AMS

You could create more Default rules, but use only 1 in the policy :

Jacques_AMS_0-1706607306103.png

Public