Tech ONTAP Articles

Ask the Experts: How Can I Monitor NetApp Storage Performance with Graphite and Grafana?

Tech_OnTap
pdf-icon.gif

July / August 2016

Beginning this month, Tech OnTap highlights popular discussion threads appearing in the NetApp Technical Community. In this month’s discussion, Christopher Madden, NetApp IT enterprise architect, shares his Graphite/Grafana Quick Start Installation Guide and fields dozens of questions from community members.

As Christopher writes: “... NetApp Harvest is a data collector that fetches a wide set of performance metrics from NetApp cDOT and 7-mode storage systems, and capacity info from Unified Manager 6, and posts it to an open-source Graphite metrics server.  It also imports 19 dashboards containing over 500 graphs into Grafana to make viewing it all a snap...” read the entire blog post.

For more information:

Video: NetApp Advanced Performance Monitoring

Download the Graphite/Grafana Quick Start Installation Guide

Or, to meet the experts in person, attend these Insight sessions at Las Vegas (Sept 26-29) or Berlin (Nov 14-17):

62051-2 - Open Source Monitoring Using Harvest, Graphite and Grafana

59851-2 - Monitoring Performance Using NetApp OnCommand Performance Manager and API Extensions

Please Note:

All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly searchable and viewable. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary.

In accordance with our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use, DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information (PII)
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.

Replies

I am trying to use Graphite to monitor the iSCSI performace within a VSM, but there is no datapoints for iSCSI, I can see the CIFS performance though in the same VMS.

It seems the harvest are not collecting iSCSI data at all.

Any idea why this is happening?

Public