VMware Solutions Discussions

ONTAP Tools 9.13 direct to SVM instead of cluster

squebel

We are trying to direct ONTAP Tools for VMware 9.13 straight to the SVM on a cluster. I've been finding a lot of different documentation on this process and feel like I've followed each of these as closely as possible but it just does not seem to work. I get messages like "can't discover controllers" and stuff like that even though I do believe I have the correct role set up in ONTAP for the svm. I will also share that the OTV appliance does not have any network access to the cluster management IP, only has network access to the SVM management LIF which is on the same network as the OTV appliance.  Does anyone here in this forum know if this will work with this configuration where the OTV appliance can't talk to the cluster mgmt IP at all?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChanceBingen

As long as you have access from the OTV appliance to the SVM management LIF it should work.

One thing I've seen is that in different versions of ONTAP the default vsadmin account may not work with OTV. So for that reason I always recommend configuring an SVM account using the included JSON file that you can download from the OTV appliance.

Keep in mind that a few things won't fully work without cluster-scoped credentials. Like optimal LIF placement (it can't see the physical node anymore), autosupport (not all that useful with OTV 9.x anyway), and vVols (requires cluster-scoped credentials with OTV 9).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ChanceBingen

As long as you have access from the OTV appliance to the SVM management LIF it should work.

One thing I've seen is that in different versions of ONTAP the default vsadmin account may not work with OTV. So for that reason I always recommend configuring an SVM account using the included JSON file that you can download from the OTV appliance.

Keep in mind that a few things won't fully work without cluster-scoped credentials. Like optimal LIF placement (it can't see the physical node anymore), autosupport (not all that useful with OTV 9.x anyway), and vVols (requires cluster-scoped credentials with OTV 9).

squebel

Wanted to post an update that I did get this to work. It took a bunch of other things to make it work properly. I don't have that list handy but they are documented. Unfortunately, the exact steps to make it all work are not documented in a single place or in a list of steps in an order to complete them in. But I did get it to work.

Public