ONTAP Discussions

Fastest way to replicate a CIFS-server with all volumes to a DR site in a functional way?

Northman

I am currently setting up SnapMirror for hundreds of volumes for a CIFS SVM residing in a Metrocluster site. I create destination volumes with the same volume size and type DP using powershell on a FAS2720 filer. Later I will create the SM relationship and initialize it, also using powershell. 

When it is done, I will have to break the relationship with all the hundreds of volumes and then run another powershell command to add junction paths,export policies to each of those volumes in order to create functional CIFS shares for the volumes. 

Is there a simpler way to replicate a CIFs-server to a different Netapp cluster? I was thinking first to use Storage VM (DR), but it seems not to be available. Maybe because the source SVM already is in a SVM DR relationship inside its Metrocluster? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ansley_tj

@Northman , You do not mention the ONTAP version.

Assuming you want to replicate the volumes to a non-MetroCluster target for DR. 

Starting with ONTP 9.11.1, you can create an SVM-DR relationship from an SVM that hosts  MetroCluster Source volumes to a target cluster not in the MetroCluster relationship.

2023-11-27_08-53-20.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Tony Ansley
I am a NetApp employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ansley_tj

@Northman , You do not mention the ONTAP version.

Assuming you want to replicate the volumes to a non-MetroCluster target for DR. 

Starting with ONTP 9.11.1, you can create an SVM-DR relationship from an SVM that hosts  MetroCluster Source volumes to a target cluster not in the MetroCluster relationship.

2023-11-27_08-53-20.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Tony Ansley
I am a NetApp employee.

Northman

Thanks, yes I found out later as well.

soniya01

To replicate a CIFS (Common Internet File System) server with all volumes to a DR (Disaster Recovery) site quickly and effectively, follow these simple steps:

1. Select a Replication Tool:

• Choose a tool that suits your setup. Some options include Robocopy, DFS Replication, or third-party solutions.
  2. Install the Replication Tool:

• Install the chosen tool on both the primary CIFS server and the DR site server.
  3. Configure Replication Settings:

• Set up the replication tool to copy all data, including volumes and shared files, from the primary server to the DR site.
  4. Run Initial Replication:

• Start the replication process to copy all existing data to the DR site for the first time.
  5. Schedule Regular Replications:

• Set up a schedule for the tool to regularly update the DR site with changes from the primary server. This ensures both sites stay in sync.
  6. Monitor Replication Status:

• Keep an eye on the replication status to ensure it's working as expected. Most tools provide monitoring features.
  7. Test DR Site Regularly:

• Periodically test the DR site to make sure it functions correctly and has the latest data.

Northman

yes, in general this is true, but for mye case , I think the easiest is to setup SVM-DR to the third Netapp cluster.

Public