ONTAP Hardware

Upgrade path for FAS2554

sergeib

We have a FAS2554 at our DR site. When we test our DR and failover our prod site to the DR site we observe almost constant disk utilization being close to 100% and CPU close to 100%. We are contemplating adding more disk shelves, creating a new agg and spreading the load between all aggs. I have also heard that there is an option to "swap the head" on the 2554 for a more robust controller with a faster CPU. Is this possible and if so -- what are the options for an upgrade.

Thank you.

sergei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Got ya.  Yeah, prod and DR and for sure "uneven" so that would explain the 100% usage you're seeing.   

Your NetApp Partner can run sizing to see what would be a proper DR target options for you.      I don't think a headswap would be the thing to do honestly and i'm pretty sure you can't swap a 25xx to a 27xx either.   

You can probably re-use the 2554's chassis and disks as a DS4246 or even put in a IOM12. But it's still just a pool of SATA.  And if you're running AFF in prod,  there is no real comparison.   You'd probably have to work in Flashpool to use with the SATA (if you don't have it already in the 2554).     Still have that 8020 laying around?  That might make a decent DR target with the correct disks.    

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

SpindleNinja

Whats the controller at your production site? 

But, based on the 100% and 100% on disks and CPU,  I would focus on upgrading the controller itself.    

Head swapping can be an option, but there are additional factors that come in to play.     An alternative example  would be to get a new 2750 for example and convert the 2554 into a shelf. 

sergeib

The controller is whatever came with the 2554. The processor (according to the hardware universe) is 2 x 64-bit 2-core with HT 1.73 Ghz. I am trying to understand what is "swapping heads". I can't find anything that would describe the process and most importantly -- what the current cotroller can be swapped for? Where do I find the specs, etc. Thanks.

SpindleNinja

I'm just trying to understand what controller you have at your main/production site.  If you have say a FAS8000 series and you're failing to a FAS2554,  there's a problem IMHO.    So you have a 2554 at both sites?   I'm just trying to understand what systems you have in your environment.    

As far as a head swap goes,  there are two types.   Online, also referred to as an ARL or the offline method (hard down).   Controllers with internal disks can't do ARL headswaps.  Ther'es also a lot of compatibility checks that go along with headswaps in general.

That said,  I'm pretty sure you can't headswap a 25xx between and a 27xx.  It's for sure nothing i'd recomend for my customers.         

sergeib

I used to have a FAS8020 at the prod site and a FAS2554 at the DR. Then we got rid of the 8020 and got an AFF A300 for prod, so we are enjoying all flash with 0.4 ms average latency at prod and when we failover our prod resources to the DR's FAS2554 the latency and other metrics go through the roof. I am trying to find a way to improve performance at the DR if this is at all possible. One thought I had was to buy another disk shelf with SSD drives and create a new agg in 2554. Another thought was to figure out if the CPU power can be somehow improved and that is why I am researching the "head swap" without fully understanding of what it means. In my assumption the "head swapping" involves buying a more powerful controller for the 2554 to replace the original controller. Thanks for all your input, SpindleNinja.

SpindleNinja

Got ya.  Yeah, prod and DR and for sure "uneven" so that would explain the 100% usage you're seeing.   

Your NetApp Partner can run sizing to see what would be a proper DR target options for you.      I don't think a headswap would be the thing to do honestly and i'm pretty sure you can't swap a 25xx to a 27xx either.   

You can probably re-use the 2554's chassis and disks as a DS4246 or even put in a IOM12. But it's still just a pool of SATA.  And if you're running AFF in prod,  there is no real comparison.   You'd probably have to work in Flashpool to use with the SATA (if you don't have it already in the 2554).     Still have that 8020 laying around?  That might make a decent DR target with the correct disks.    

sergeib

Thank you for your analysis, SpindleNinja! Much appreciated. Looks like I need to start pricing the A200 as a replacement 🙂

sergei

SpindleNinja

That sounds like a good replacement!  i'd go with an A220 (A200 is no longer sold).    

sergeib

Interesting. I just got off the phone with my NA rep and he said that an A200 would be a good fit for my needs. Oh well, I'm sure when I reach out to my local reseller they'll tell me what is available. Thanks again!

sergei

SpindleNinja

No problem.  Maybe just refering to the A200 series?   ( I've run in to that confusion before.  )

CHRISMAKI

Depending on your capcity requirements, be sure to also check out the AFF C190, but make sure you understand the limits around expansion. 

paul_stejskal

So we can design limits but honestly it requires sizing from the account team. The 2554 is limited by CPU, and when you have a DR site you have things like deswizzling or other wafl scanners. https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1004238 outlines more of that (requires login).

AFF is better since the bottleneck moves from disk to CPU at that point.

sergeib

Thank you, Paul. I did notice that once I disable all efficiencies on all volumes on this 2554 the CPU and disk utilization go down.

sergeib

Thank you, CHRISMAKI, I'll check out the AFF C190.

Public