VMware Solutions Discussions

Re: VSC 7.1 with vSphere 6.7

By now, VSC 7.2 was released. We updated our VSC instances: One connected to vCenter 6.5 and the other connected to vCenter 6.7.

vCenter 6.5 support by VSC 7.2. is fine: NetApp VSC plugin shows up in vSphere Web Client (Flex/Flash) and in HTML5 client and is working as expected, even in German HTML5 client (using the latest Fling appliance 3.39).

vCenter 6.7 support by VSC 7.2 is terrible: It does not show up in Flex Client, but it shows up in HTML5 client home menu as "app.name" when HTML5 client displays German language. With an English browser it shows up as "Virtual Storage Console".

However, in 6.7 it's displaying an HTTP 500 error in vSphere Client:

HTTP 500 error

When adding a storage, it displays:

Add storage

It's absolutely crucial for us that VSC fully supports vCenter 6.7 asap. We have production vCenters @ 6.7.

It would be fine to have a version with the technical preview for the HTML5 client, but the support for Flash based client should not been dropped until the HTML5 version is working fine.

I was shocked when I read this blog from 06/29/2018:

https://blog.netapp.com/welcoming-virtual-storage-console-7-2-with-support-for-new-vmware-features/

"This week, our NetApp engineering team released the latest version of the Virtual Storage Console unified software to connect users of NetApp® ONTAP® to their VMware environments, including vSphere 6.5"

I really hope 6.5 was a typo as it has been around since 2016... but looking at the replies here I just hope we will see a P1 release asap with full 6.7 support.

Please get this going ASAP! Or give us a beta or even something with limited functionality.

Hi,

Just to confirm other NetApp responses on this thread, we have committed vCenter 6.7 support for the next VSC release (7.2.1, planned for December release).

ONTAP NAS and SAN have been qualified for vSphere 6.7, and NFS VAAI qualification is underway (but we have identified issues with VMware NFSv4.1 support in recent vSphere releases).

I hope this helps.

---Karl

We also would like to upgrade our 6.5 install with VSC to 6.7, to get rid of some bugs. VSC support is needed, HTML5 functions may come in 8.1 for us. 

/\Rolf/\

With vCenter 6.7 Update 1 now GA, NetApp support for vSphere 6.7 is even more imperative.  Update 1 brings several new features especially the re-embedding of the PSC's that many of us have been waiting for.  Please expedite the release of 7.1.1 or whatever version will support 6.7.

You guys really need to get things out there.  It feels like you don't really want to support vmware.  You take forever to support current versions of vmware products, you are ripping out features with each new release, and just don't seem to care.  

Hi,

We do care about our customers who use VMware vSphere with ONTAP, and have been investing significantly in tool and ONTAP development to support it over the past few years.  Much of that has been on the VVol side recently, but we also have updated VSC and SRA with new capabilities and support.  We have several sessions at Insight in Las Vegas that cover this:

• 1198-1 - Managing Storage in vSphere with Unified Appliance 8.0
  • 1120-2 - Best Practices for VMware vSphere and ONTAP: All Flash FAS, Hybrid Cloud, and Beyond
  • 1113-2 - Using VMware VVols to Simplify and Automate Your vSphere SAN Storage

It might seem like a simple thing to support vCenter 6.7, but it was a major effort to support it along with earlier releases.  VMware updated the Java libs, which impacted other components we used.  Some changes were obvious, but others only came out through extensive code review and testing across multiple vSphere and ONTAP releases, and working with VMware.  Our development and QA teams are focused on releasing this as soon as possible.   

If there are features that you are missing, please let me know.  The features I'm aware of that were removed either were obsolete or not widely used by our customers.

---Karl

Hi,

Is there an update when the VSC 8.0 will be available?

vSphere/vCenter 6.7 U1 is available for a while and we want to use this integration with NetApp within the vCenter.

Well, it's December, we are waiting.

Forums