Data Backup and Recovery

FCP and MPIO - from the top?

pborkstrom

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.  I've been involved in NetApp administration for 2 years and love it.  My environment includes NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI, but only 1 implementation of FCP.  I'm attempting to learn FCP and MPIO, but need some advice.

The following components make up my lab:

2 - Emulex 9802 cards

1 - Dell 1850 w/Windows Server 2003 sp2

1 - FAS270c

1 - Brocade Silkworm 200E fabric switch

I've read several of the block management docs.  I didn't exactly find a single doc that spelled MPIO with FCP end-to-end, but from what I could gather, this was my plan (in order):

1. Prepare filer (cluster, fcp, etc)

2. Install HBAs in the win2k3 server and load the Emulex Config Tool and HBAnywhere

3. Install FCP Host Utilities ver 5.3 and applicable hotfix(es)

4. Install DSM ver 3.4 and applicable hotfix(es)

5. Load Snapdrive ver 6.3 and applicable hotfix(es)

The physical configuration looks like this:

Dell1850 w/2-HBAs plugged into 2 ports on the Silkworm 200E

FAS270c plugged into 2 ports on the Silkworm 200E via 0c on both heads

I understand it's not true MPIO with a single FC switch, but it's all I have for a lab at the moment.

After loading all software, I used snapdrive to create LUNs on the 270.  I choose both wwnn's for MPIO.  Had SD manage the igroups.  In my mind, MPIO should be set up properly.

When checking under the DFM aplette in Computer Management, I see 4 connections to the filer.  (2 connections through 0c and 2 connections via the vtic/interconnect).  The problem is the state for each disk reads "Active/Unoptimized".  To test my disk, I ran an IOMeter test.  I tried to hit the disk pretty hard, and during the test, I received the following error from my filer's console:

"Sun Feb 27 14:24:50 CST [TOASTER1: scsitarget.partnerPath.misconfigured:error]: FCP Partner Path Misconfigured - Host I/O access through a non-primary and non-optimal path was detected."

When running a lun stats -o -i 1, the PARTNER READ KB is fairly significant (about 40% of the primary path).

Can someone let me know either what I'm doing wrong, what I'm leaving out, or what I might check to verify if my configuration is proper?  I didn't do any configuration via HBAnywhere or elxcfg.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again for your time.

Regards,

pborkstrom

15 REPLIES 15
Public