Data Backup and Recovery

mySQL restore with SnapCreator

SPLUNKOR88

Hello,

I am in the GUI and have performed a mySQL backup of a database. When I go to the File Restore, I don't see the database to restore. The backup looks successful.

Anyone have steps to perform a restore?

5 REPLIES 5

sivar

Please check this TR written for mysql plugin and Snap Creator framework.

Please let me know if you have further questions after referring the TR.

http://www.netapp.com/us/system/pdf-reader.aspx?m=tr-3657.pdf&cc=us

Regards,
Siva Ramanathan

nkarthik

To restore a database from file-restore, you need to have the database in LUN.

It’s recommended to have separate volume for each database and try again with volume restore.

Regards,

Karthikeyan.N

SPLUNKOR88

Karthikeyan,

Thanks for the reply. In this case, we have Linux machines that are FC attached to our NetApp (SAN boot). If we use snapcreator, does that mean we have to use SnapDrive to protect the LUN? Theoretically, if we quiesce the database with SnapCreator, and snapshot the volume which contains the LUN, it should be consistent? From a restore perspective though, we would need to reattach the LUN to do a restore of the DB? With SnapDrive on these machines, we would have that granular file level restore?

Please let me know. I appreciate all your help!

nkarthik

I have not tested with Snapdrive,

If you use SnapDrive, it makes your setup much easier. The LUNS should be consistent during sc backup. I hope you can reattach the lun and restore the mysql database when using SnapDrive. please let me know, how it goes...

If you have some time, i will check with my team the same scenarios and get back to you.

Regards,

Karthikeyan.N

SPLUNKOR88

Karthikeyan,

Thanks again for the prompt response! If we don't have SnapDrive available to us and we used SC to invoked quiescing and snapshot on the volume which hosts the LUN, do you see any issues with consistency on that? I know the restore method may be more painful but from a backup consistency approach, is it safe?

Regards,

Ryan

Public