Subscribe

Can you access the aggregate like the volume by mounting

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Can we able to mount the aggregate  like the volume using the mount points and exporting  from the exports file .

If so can  anyone explain with an example

Re: Can you access the aggregate like the volume by mounting

Hi Arun,

Aggregate is the Physical level grouping of disks. It's not possible to mount it.

If you have a traditional Volume then you can mount it as same as volume.

Thanks

Daniel

Thank Daniel

Interesting stuff.

I've never heard of any  'normal' method of mounting an aggregate. However there are aggregate-level snapshots (& default 5% snap reserve), which begs the question - how to actually access / use these snapshots?

If memory servers right, I think it can be leveraged by support guys for data recovery (e.g. when a volume has been 'accidentally' destroyed).

Regards,
Radek

I believe you can boot into maintenance mode and do a vol undestroy in order to bring stuff back from the aggr snapshot.

Good.

So, again - it shows that aggregate is not only a physical, but also a logical, volume-like object.

Hence there is a theoretical possibility of mounting an aggregate...

Just one query......

Why would you want to mount the aggregate? One of the good thngs about Filers (In my eyes) is that they are compartmentalised.

It's a forum, OK?

So we are asking (& possibly answering) all kinds of questions with or (sometimes) without practical value

lol, fair enough

Hello all,

I found some info in the Storage management guide which specifies that aggr is  the physical layer . I think Daniel is correct.

Aggregates provide storage to volumes. Aggregates are made up of sets of disks, which Data ONTAP
automatically organizes into one or more RAID groups. Aggregates have one or two plexes, depending
on whether RAID-level mirroring (SyncMirror), is in use.

Volumes are data containers. Clients can access the data in volumes through the access protocols
supported by Data ONTAP. These protocols include Network File System (NFS), Common Internet
File System (CIFS), HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Web-based Distributed