Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

ifgrp favor equivalent for singlemode ifgrp?

Is there an ifgrp favor in clustered ontap?  I must be missing it somewhere...but network port ifgrp does not have a favor sub command.

Re: ifgrp favor equivalent for singlemode ifgrp?

Hi Scott,

You have not missed anything. The command equivalent does not exist in clustered ONTAP. The workaround would be to setup a LIF failover group with the preferred LIF as the home LIF.

This isn't a workaround since we can't failover to a port in the singlemode Ifgrp

For example...

Ifgrp a0a single mode with ports e2b/e3b on node1

Ifgrp a1a single mode with ports e2b/e3b on node2

Then we have 2 lifs. One homed on a0a and the second homes on a1a.

The goal is to move the active port to e3b and back to e2b within the Ifgrp. We can administratively down a port to force the other to pickup but would prefer a favor/no favor method like 7mode. Any future plans for this?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Hi Scott,

Apologies it has taken a while to get to you on this.

It is possible to achieve your goal with LIF failover groups and 'auto-revert'. Referring to your example, I would create two LIF failover groups. Each one would contain the two network ports that are local to the node. The LIF would be assigned to the LIF failover group, have its failover policy set to "nextavail" and set its ability to automatically revert back to its home port. An example....

With this configuration the LIF can have its home port (favoured port to be e0b). If e0b were to go down the LIF would failover the e0c. When the link to e0b was restored, the LIF would automatically failover to its home port.

Does this help?

That does help. It would also need the ports from different nodes in the failover group in case if node failure, but sounds like if a group per node that has the local ports first in the list that it can be done...just more maintenance and use of different failover groups. I would prefer an Ifgrp favor still for equivalent functionality since the Ifgrp single functionality is here...but wouldn't be used with this workaround.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Will pass the message along.

Thank you. Your posts are very helpful And make our job a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone 5

I know this conversation is a little old but I did run into this while working with a customer who wanted to use singlemode and favor. In the Network Management Guide (confirmed in both 8.1.1 and 8.2 docs) on pg 21 it states the following:

"In a single-mode interface group, you can select the active port or designate a port as nonfavored

by executing the ifgrp command from the nodeshell"

I was able to do so, in fact we used the favor command i.e. "ifgrp favor e0b" and it showed under the flags from the ifgrp status command. The issue is that upon reboot this setting was not persistent (expected) as well as inserting it into the local rc file didn't work either.

So favor does exist, now the question is how do you make it persistent across reboots?

Also, if using the workaround above which seems like a reasonable option, what are the negatives in your opinion?

Thanks,

John

We decided against single mode Ifgrps. With cDot may as well keep all ports active and let lif failover groups handle ports. Same end result but active/active on all ports.

Sent from my iPhone 5

I hear you but it is still documented as an option...