EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

SANtricity Access LUN ID

Ethan_Compogno

Looking for some insight on this one. I have a 5700 running SANtricity version 11.70, which is providing access to  40 LUNs for an ESXi environment. We are trying to have the LUN IDs match our naming convention. Here is the rub. The Access LUN for the array is currently using ID 7. Through troubleshooting and reading extensively, we determined that the Access LUN can be unmounted and the ID removed(SMcli commands). However we are unable to assign a new ID to the LUN. When we attempt to assign any ID number other than 7, we are met with error code 107 and a message stating that the ID is not usable or valid.

I believe in previous versions of the firmware, assigning a new ID to the Access LUN was not an issue, but I can't find in any release notes or other documentation that states the Access LUN has to be assigned ID 7. Just that it has to have an ID.

Has anyone run into this same issue? Is there a workaround or are we stuck with one production LUN with an ID that is out of sync with the rest?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Vnichola

LUN 7 is saved for the access LUN. The access volumes could be removed which I would suspect would free up that ID to be used however if new volumes are added it will create a new access LUN which will try and use LUN 7. You do have to have a unique LUN ID for each Host Cluster. If you create a host cluster that has no access LUN we should be able to use LUN 7 which I think is what Mitch was trying to explain.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MitchBlackburn
Here's the results with newer SANtricity code, don't have an array available with the code version you used:
This is on an E5700 running the newest SANtricity release code, 11.70.4.

This is with 2 individual hosts without cluster.
[cid:image001.png@01D9987F.FF23DFF0]

This is with the 2 hosts in a cluster.
[cid:image002.png@01D9987F.FF23DFF0]

Ethan_Compogno

I am sorry, but it appears that your images didn't load properly to this forum. Can you try again or edit your response? Thanks.

Vnichola

LUN 7 is saved for the access LUN. The access volumes could be removed which I would suspect would free up that ID to be used however if new volumes are added it will create a new access LUN which will try and use LUN 7. You do have to have a unique LUN ID for each Host Cluster. If you create a host cluster that has no access LUN we should be able to use LUN 7 which I think is what Mitch was trying to explain.

Public