EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

Time Zone Changes Setting

Shiju_Chacko

Dear Team,

We are using NETAPP E2812 with SANtricity® OS Software Version 11.70.2

Need guidance to change time and Time Zone. Please share the steps.

Regards,

Shiju Chacko

12 REPLIES 12

elementx

Where do you see a time zone setting? I only see NTP server-related commands.

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/e-series-cli/commands-a-z/set-controller-ntpservers.html

Atish1

Atish1_0-1708957235998.png

Problems can occur when the cluster time is inaccurate. ONTAP software enables you to manually set the time zone, date, and time on the cluster. However, you should configure the Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers to synchronize the cluster time. To configure the date and time, in ONTAP System Manager, on the Cluster Overview page, select Edit from the More menu. Click Add, and in the NTP Servers field, enter the IP addresses of the time servers, separated by commas. Click Save. Adding the NTP server automatically configures all the nodes in the cluster, but each node needs to synchronize individually. The synchronization for all the nodes in the cluster might require a few minutes

will this help?

elementx

> will this help?

It would, if the question was about ONTAP.

AlonsoD

@elementx is correct, there are only NTP server settings.  

To set NTP server in System Manager, select "Hardware" in left pane, then select "Show back of shelf" near upper right corner of window, left-click on a controller to select it, a drop-down menu should appear.  In the drop down menu left-click to select "Configure NTP server", the "Configure Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server" window should open.

From there you can enable NTP, then choose either DHCP or add static IP for an NTP server.

AlonsoD

The only other time option I found is to synchronize storage array clocks.  Apparently this can only be done if NTP is disabled on the controllers.

With NTP disabled, click on "Settings" in left-pane, then click on "SYSTEM" button in right-pane.  In the "General" block is the option to "Synchronize Storage Array Clocks", click on that.

The "Synchronize Storage Array Clocks" pop-up window should open.  Clicking on the "Synchronize" button in lower left of window will synchronize the controller clocks to the date and time of the host that opened System Manager.  As long as the host opening System Manager has the correct time and time zone, that should be transferred to the controllers once their time is synchronized.

elementx
That's for when there are no NTP servers, so that (at least) two controllers aren't out of sync (even if they are both wrong).

Doesn't do much for time zones. But it lets you apply incorrect time (such as local). I'm not sure what the benefit of having the controllers set to local time would be. I'd rather have them set to get time from NTP server(s).

ahmadm

Just to add to the previous replies and information shared, the timezone cannot be set. E-Series SANtricity software uses UTC for timezone.

Shiju_Chacko

Dear @ahmadm 

Please refer pic attached. Email Received Time and Event Occurred Time is Different.  How to resolve this.

elementx

E-Series event log uses GMT timezone. 

Your client will show different times depending in which time zone your client is. 

How can E-Series know where you are located?

And how can Support or other persons who need to work on that log know what timezone you were in when you received that email?

Shiju_Chacko

Dear @elementx 

What is the solution ???

elementx

I don't see a problem, so I don't know what a solution may look like.

Different email recipients may be in different time zones. "e-mail received time" is how your client is configured to display time in your time zone.

If it's 8:15pm in TZ1, if you drive to another time zone TZ2 and open the same email you may now see 9:15pm for the same message. So when was that e-mail really received, 8:15pm or 9:15pm? It depends where you read it. 

But E-Series event in the e-mail will always show the correct time because it's in GMT and doesn't change based on where the person reading it is located.

If a message says the event happened at 1:15pm, then that's what e-mail content should show. 

If you want to see E-Series log times in a customizable zone, don't use email to display them. You can send logs to a database (Splunk, etc.) which can query datetime strings and manipulate them to translate output into other formats and time zones.

Shiju_Chacko

Hi @elementx 

Thanks for your email.  I Understand and find that we does not modify Time Zone in E Series.

Public