Subscribe
Accepted Solution

issue using ConvertTo-NcVmdk

We are trying to convert VHDX files into VMDK files using ConvertTo-NcVmdk however getting error converting any size of VHDX files.

Error received

Clone operation failed to start: File restore or LUN clone operation exceeded the block cloning limit (128MB). Maximum block count for clone from AFS is 32768

We are running this from a Windows 2012 R2 with PS version 4.

PowerCli version 

PowerCLI Version
----------------
VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 1 build 1295336
---------------
DataOntap version - Manifest   4.1.0      DataONTAP

Hope someone could direct me to slution.

Thanks in advance.

Re: issue using ConvertTo-NcVmdk

Starting with Data ONTAP 8.4 (IIRC), the conversion cmdlets work exclusively on snapshots - PSTK does not support conversion if the source is on AFS.

Could you take a snapshot of your volume and then pass that snasphot name using the -Snapshot parameter? Or pipe the output of New-NcSnapshot to Convert-NcVhdx. That should resolve your issue.

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

Great that did the trick.

Thanks once again for the informaiton.

Hi Aparajita,

what about OnCommand Shift?

Shift used the following syntax in the background (output from the debug log):

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock { $secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString '********' -AsPlainText -Force;$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ('admin' ,$secpasswd);Connect-NcController -Credential $mycreds -Name <IP-ADDRESS> -Vserver <VSERVER>;ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk '/vol/vol1/.snapshot/Shift_vol1/qtreeESX/VM-Directory/VM.vmdk' -FollowParent -DestinationVhdx '/vol/vol1/qtreeHV/VM-Directory/VM.vhdx'}

And this is not working. I got the same error:

operation exceeded the block cloning limit (128MB). Maximum block count for clone from AFS is 32768.

Converting the disk manualy with the following syntax works fine:

ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk '/vol/vol1/qtreeESX/VM-Directory/VM.vmdk' -FollowParent -DestinationVhdx '/vol/vol1/qtreeHV/VM-Directory/VM.vhdx' -SnapshotName Shift_vol1

Do you have any experience with Shift?

If so, is possible to force Shift to use the other syntax?

Thanks in advance,

Anastasios

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution for this when using OnCommand Shift? I am running v1.2 and am seeing the same issue as Anastasios. If I run the ConvertTo-NcVhdx command manually with the SnapshotName switch it works but it doesn't work when run using the GUI.

Many Thanks,

Chris Lorentzen

kritoglu wrote:

Hi Aparajita,

what about OnCommand Shift?

Shift used the following syntax in the background (output from the debug log):

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock { $secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString '********' -AsPlainText -Force;$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ('admin' ,$secpasswd);Connect-NcController -Credential $mycreds -Name <IP-ADDRESS> -Vserver <VSERVER>;ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk '/vol/vol1/.snapshot/Shift_vol1/qtreeESX/VM-Directory/VM.vmdk' -FollowParent -DestinationVhdx '/vol/vol1/qtreeHV/VM-Directory/VM.vhdx'}

And this is not working. I got the same error:

operation exceeded the block cloning limit (128MB). Maximum block count for clone from AFS is 32768.

Converting the disk manualy with the following syntax works fine:

ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk '/vol/vol1/qtreeESX/VM-Directory/VM.vmdk' -FollowParent -DestinationVhdx '/vol/vol1/qtreeHV/VM-Directory/VM.vhdx' -SnapshotName Shift_vol1

Do you have any experience with Shift?

If so, is possible to force Shift to use the other syntax?

Thanks in advance,

Anastasios

Hi Chris,

sorry, that I did not wrote the workaround yet.

I was able to convert VMs with OnCommand Shift. All I had to do, was install OnCommand Shift 1.2D1, were this issue is fixed:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/oncommand_shift/1.2D1/

BURTs addressed in OnCommand Shift 1.2D1 
=====================================================
Bug ID     |   Severity   |        Title
985139     |      3       |   Does not support https - Connection refused while connecting to Data Ontap (LB) using Shift
1048104    |      2       |   Question mark character inserted into Invoke-Command output during Hyper-V to ESXi conversion.
1072443    |      2       |   Unable to create SVM - network routing-groups deprecated in ONTAP9
1074205    |      3       |   ConvertTo-NcVhdx failed when shifting w/Ontap 9.1.0

IMPORTENT:

Just upgrading the already installed Shift Server form 1.2 to 1.2D1 was possible, but lead to the same error.

I had to uninstall all the software (Shift, Java, Tomcat) and make a new fresh installation.

Best way is, to install the 1.2D1 on a new fresh server.

Regards, Anastasios

Advanced UniByte