Subscribe

Can't copy large files to a CIFS Share

Hi,

I got the error shown below whenever I will try to copy anything over 1GB. Any idea why?

Title: Network Error

Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.

Thanks.

Re: Can't copy large files to a CIFS Share

Hi,

You can use robocopy to migrate CIFS data.

A quick start guide to use robocopy to migrate CIFS data can be found in the below link,

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=8010079&actp=LIST_RECENT&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1402552862434

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Hi Hariprak,

I'm not migrating the data. I'm asking why I can't copy anything over 1GB to one of my CIFS share.

thanks

Did you disabled the CIFS protocol on the interface (options).

Might also an issue with the tcpip packet size.

CIFS is not disabled, otherwise I couldn't copy files smaller than 1GB.

I'm having the same problem, but only on one share that's running on the first controller.  Our other two shares on the second controller work fine.  The settings are all the same, the only difference i've noticed is that when copying the large file, the share that fails is actually copying twice as fast as the other two shares that work.

A couple of questions...

what version of SMB are you running?  1, 2, 2.1, or 3?

What OS is the file on? 

are you trying to copy this file over an onboard 1G port or is it a card?

Hi jlee,

In the options list, it says 2 enabled is off, so i'm guessing 1. 

I actually just tried copying a 4GB file from Windows Server 2003 and it was successful, from 2008 R2 and Windows 7, it fails.

Onboard 1G ports.

Interesting.  This issue seems to reside with SMB 2.0.  Windows 2003 uses 1.0.  2008R2 and Windows 7 all use 2.0. 

The other shares you are using...what OS's are they using to copy?

Same thing I thought.  However, I can copy the same file to the other 2 shares from Windows 7 and Server 2008R2.  I would expect them to fail also, unless the problem is with the second controller.

The two working shares are on the same controller, the one that doesn't work is running on the other controller.