ONTAP Discussions

Network Share storage limit

NetApp93

Good Morning All,

Just looking for a bit of an clarification here. We have a NetAppAFF-A150 running a CIFS/SMB SVM serving some windows network shares for us. Each of our shares has been given their own volume which we can scale up as needed. One of our volumes has been provided with 750gb of space. When looking at the share for the volume it is showing as ~75% filled at 563/750 gb used. However when I actually highlight all of my subfolders within the share and check their space used via properties, it only comes out to about 411gb. My initial thought was that snapshots must be making up the difference, however then I remembered that snapshots are just "pointers" to where the data is so they shouldn't take up much space (at least I think so? Please correct me if I'm wrong!). I just wanted to do my due diligence and see if any of you saw this offset in storage space as normal, or if it is something I should do further digging on. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

ChLokesh

Hello there, 

Please check if this is a thin provisioned volumes. If yes, then it will share space with other volumess in same aggregate. Also, we need to check quota on the volume and df -h outputs to see how much space are the snapshots consuming as sometimes a snapshot spill can cause a high space utilization. 

Public