2010-09-07 01:58 PM
I am trying to schedule some of the pre-configured reports in Operations Manager, but they fail when they run. The error is "The report schedule did not generate any output". When I run the report manually without scheduling, it runs successfully. I am running Operations Manager 4.0.
Has anyone seen this behavior before, and if so, how do I fix it?
2010-09-07 03:02 PM
I think you are hitting this. Can you check for this if you have write permission on the reports archive dir.
You can modify the location of the destination directory by using the following CLI command:
dfm options set reportsArchiveDir=<destination dir>
When you modify the Report Archival Directory location,
DataFabric Manager checks whether the directory is writable to archive the reports.
In the case of a Windows operating system,
if the Directory exists on the network,
then the location must be on a UNC path.
Besides, the scheduler and server services must run with an account
that has write permissions on the directory.
To run as a user account that has write permissions on the Report Archival Directory,
configure the scheduler service using Windows Service Configuration Manager.
Note: You require the Database Write capability on the Global group
to modify the Report Archival Directory option.
2010-09-09 06:55 AM
Thanks for your reply. It turns out that we were hitting a bug (383217), in which DFM can't properly read group permissions in AD. We added the AD user explicitly as an administrator in DFM and he is now able to successfully schedule reports.
2010-12-27 01:55 AM
I am currently out of office till 2nd January with no access to e-mails.
If this is urgent, you can reach me on my mobile.