Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp Harvest and OCUM 7

krfa261286

Hello,

I've installed the NetApp ADVA ova appliance version 2.1

I've added some 7-mode system, but when I'm trying to connect my new OnTap 9.0 System with OCUM7, the status are still not running. I've checked, it looks the OnTap 9.0 isn't supported yet due to metric changes, is it correct? Is there any plan to support it?

Regarding OCUM 7.x, it looks not supported either, didn't it?

Best regards.

Fabrice

9 REPLIES 9

msaravan

OCUM 7.x doesn't support 7-mode. I hope, you are referring to ONTAP9.0 CDOT.

OCUM 7.x supports only CDOT monitoring. Can you confrm your environment, so that I can help you with additional details.

Regards,

Saravanan

hariprak

Hi,

OCUM 7.x supports only CDOT monitoring.

OnCommand Unified Manager 7.0 and 7.1 supports the following ONTAP OS.

ONTAP 9.1
ONTAP 9.0
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.2
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.1
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.4
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.3
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.2
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.1
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

bobshouseofcards

Hi Fabrice -

I see the point of your question - you have Harvest and can't collect data for an ONTAP 9.x cluster or from an OCUM 7.x server.  The versions are the key - I've had similar issues as new ONTAP/OCUM versions get released.

Harvest uses a series of template files that are specific to the version being collected from.  The template files contain details of what counters to collect from each version.  The Harvest I first installed supported OCUM 6.3 for instance, and when I installed OCUM 6.4, Harvest could no longer find a matching template.  Same held true when I bumped OCUM 6.4 to OCUM 7.0 RC1.

Template files are located at /opt/harvest/template/default as I recall - I don't have an installed Harvest to check at the moment.  For example, one such template file is /opt/harvest/template/default/ocum-6.4.0.conf which you see lists a product ocum and a version 6.4.0.  The quick and dirty solution is to simply copy an existing template to a new template with the corect version - for instance 

cp /opt/harvest/template/default/ocum-6.4.0.conf /opt/harvest/template/default/ocum-7.0.0.conf

I used that copy to get my OCUM 7.0 up and running without issue.  Copy an 8.3 ONTAP template with a 9.0 name to get a similar result for collecting from the Cluster.  While the template won't colelct anything new, and it might try to colelct some counters that no longer exist or were modified, it should collect enough to get things started.  I hadn't hyet updated to 9.0 when I was working with Harvest at a previous position so I can't comment how well the 8.3 cDoT template covers 9.0 ONTAP.  The OCUM template worked perfectly - all the standard dashboards for Harvest/Grafana had the data they need.

The templating facility is really nice by the way.  You can build custom templates for specific circumstances - for instance a particular set of controllers need to grab only very basic data but others need additional specific performance data not typically collected.  Using the Harvest configuration file you can direct controllers based on a number of properties to non-default collection templates.  It's really a well thought out design for data analysis.

Hope this helps.

Bob Greenwald 

Senior Systems Engineer | cStor

NCIE SAN ONTAP, Data Protection

Kudos and accepted solutions are always appreciated.

madden

Hi @krfa261286

I just completed a bulid for Harvest v1.3 that supports for Grafana 3.x features, ONTAP 9.0 and 9.1, and OCUM 6.4, 7.0, and 7.1.  It is in the process of being validated internally and then posted to the support Toolchest.  So it should post soon; be patient please 🙂

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

LORENZO_CONTI

Hi,
we strongly need a new version 😉

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/NTAP-20161017-0002?language=en_US

We were about to setup Ocum and today we found that bad news...

billartus

Hello,

I have also installed the ADVA ova 2.1.1 appliance from netapp, I cannot collect capacity data, I have opm 2.1 and ocum6.4P1. opm2.1 is fully intergrated with ocum6.4 , and opm2.1 points to grafana ip for an external data source. and I get a "not running" under ADVA, Home, Harvest OCUM Servers, any Ideas, all help would be very much appreciated .
 Thanks
 Bill

madden

Hi @billartus

Harvest collects perf data from 7-mode and clustered Data ONTAP, and capacity info from OCUM.  If using the ADVA you would configure pollers for each 7-mode node, cDOT cluster, and OCUM server.  ADVA 2.1+ requires a newer version Harvest; please ask your NetApp contact for it.  If Harvest is 'not running' I suspect you don't have the newer version of Harvest you need.  Typically with the ADVA we don't configure the 'external data provider' feature of OPM because Harvest is already capturing more detailed, and frequent, perf data from the cluster.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

OZWALKERZ

There's a new version of Harvest out that can handle ONTAP 9, if you haven't got it already, i"d recommend grabbing it 🙂

madden

Hi @OZWALKERZ

Yes, the new version of Harvest (v1.3) has a bunch of new features!  There is also a new version of the ADVA available with a GUI based management interface which is publically available for those who want a turnkey solution.  Check it out!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Public