Subscribe

WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.0P1

I am running a custom workflow to create volumes that has worked since WFA 2.x, and which works well in 3.0P1. With WFA 3.1RC1 it throws this error when attempting to apply a quota to the volume:

 

  INFO  [Apply Quota Policy to Volume or Qtree] Started Quota resize on volume post_wfa31rc1_test2_w_mirror on vserver MySVM

  ERROR [Apply Quota Policy to Volume or Qtree] Command failed for Workflow 'Create Volume (Schwab)' with error : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

  INFO  [Apply Quota Policy to Volume or Qtree] ***** Workflow Execution Failed *****

 

I have executed the PS commands from this code block in a PS shell with no errors. Has anyone else seen a similar issue with 3.1RC1?

 

    Scott Lindley

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Hi Scott,

     Your inconvenience is regretted. 

 

Now to debug this, can you provide the workflow dar file?  Or atleast the command .dar file. you may mail it to sinhaa at netapp dot com if you don't want to post it here. 

 

sinhaa

 

 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

I am currently working with Dave Korns on this issue. If he is unable to resolve it, or if he wishes to have you work in parallel or in collaboration, I will be glad to email you the workflow. Thank you so much for the kind offer.

 

    Scott

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Hello,

 

I am also facing the same issue, with 3.1RC1 and later i found its an issue with the referencing.

when i try to click on the Already applied filer i get this error, and to solve it i have to delete this reference and recreate a new reference (apply Filter)

 

 

ss.jpg

 

 

,Sheel

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Hi Sheel,

    The issue you are facing is related to null pointer exception. Somewhere in UI, some object with null value is getting accessed. Could you please share the logs and workflow with us to debug the issue? 

 

Thanks and Regards

Anu

  

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Hello Anu,

 

Please find the attached Workflow and the logs.

 

,Sheel

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Please rename the file to .zip from .txt

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

I have narrowed the problem down to a single command and can reproduce the problem very easily. However, I can't seem to fix it. But I believe importing this single custom command into both a WFA 3.0P1 and WFA 3.1RC1 system will easily show that it works in 3.0P1 and throws the odd 'Object reference not set to an insance of an object' error. I say that is an odd error because I'm only used to seeing that error at Preview time referring to an object reference in a Command Parameter field of a workflow. I know how to deal with that issue.

 

However here, the error appears at the end a PowerShell command. Actually, the PowerShell command appears to me to execute entirely and correctly. It is just that at the end of running this exception error is thrown and that causes the command (and workflow if running within a workflow) to fail. But the comamnd correctly adds the 'default' quota policy to the volume and even enables quota resize as it should. So it works, but still blows up the workflow it is within.

 

I'm going to attempt to attach these three things here:

    1) screenshot showing the command running (with Command Test Button) fine under WFA-3.0P1,

    2) a screenshot showing the command running but throwing the error on a WFA-3.1RC1 system

    3) the ,dar file holding just the command: "Apply Quota Policy to Volume or Qtree" (I added .txt to the end of .dar file name)

 

------

1) running OKay on 3.0P1

 

WFA-3.0P1-CMD-OKay.png

 

--------------------------

 

2) running with the ERROR on WFA 3.1RC1

 

WFA-3.1RC1-CMD-Fails.png

 

SOME NOTES:

 My lab environment where I re-created the problem:

    The WFA 3.0P1 system is a Windows 2008R2 server that happens to have the original PowerShell 2.0 on it

    The WFA 3.1RC1 system is a Windows 7 system that I have updated PowerShell to 4.0.

 The customer environment:

    I'm less certain of details (maybe Scott can fill in)

    The version of PowerShell is TBD (guessing 2.0) , but they are running the same PS version for both 3.0P1 and 3.1RC1 because they are upgrading/downgrading WFA on the same system

 

 

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

Hi Sheel,

   I have imported the workflow. Opened the workflow in designer. Opened the existing fliters in all the "automatically searched" objects. but i didnt hit any "unexpected" exception. Could you please suggest which object is causing the issue in the workflow.

 

Thanks and Regards

Anu

Re: WFA 3.1RC1 throws "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", worked in 3.

In this workflow you dont get any error with the reference rearch. but when you execute the workflow you will see the error.

 

I am attaching another workflow on which i see that error.

I have often this happening with WFA 3.1RC1.

 

,Sheel