Subscribe
Accepted Solution

VSC 4.2 HTTP ERROR: 503 on Backup and Recovery with vSphere 5.1 and Clustered Ontap 8.2

Hi,

We are running the following:

vSphere 5.1 update 1 SSO, VCENTER, SQL all on Windows 2012 Datacenter Server

Data Ontap C-Mode 8.2

I've installed VSC, registered the plugin like normal, entered credentials into the Monitoring and Host Configuration, everything else works fine except Backup and Recovery.

When I click on Backup and Recovery - Backup or Restore I'm presented with this error:

If I look into the SMVI.log file I can see that this particular API call is failing:

"[ERROR] Failure in jobList API call:"

The SAN credentials being used currently have full admin access

I've tried re-installing, i've tried running VSC on another server, i've removed IPv6 as per the documentation.

Any ideas ?

Re: VSC 4.2 HTTP ERROR: 503 on Backup and Recovery with vSphere 5.1 and Clustered Ontap 8.2

Howdy,

I actually didnt think full functionality for the VSC was supported yet under Clustered-Ontap ?

In 7-mode this required a server running OnCommandCore + Host Package with the VSC installed on the same machine...  but moving forward NetApp looks to have forked OnCommand into two versions... 6.x for clustered-ontap installs (which doesnt have a "Host package" as it is a VM appliance and  5.x for 7-mode customers.

interesting times ahead Smiley Indifferent

Cheers,

Chris

Re: VSC 4.2 HTTP ERROR: 503 on Backup and Recovery with vSphere 5.1 and Clustered Ontap 8.2

Hi David,

Are you saying that you installed VSC 4.2 on Windows Server 2012?  If so, then that is not a currently supported platform.  Granted, most things will probably work, but we do expect to find issues with SMVI / Backup and Recovery components.

VSC 4.2 will need to be installed on a Windows Server 2008 (or 2003) machine.

Thanks,

Brian

But in Nick's write up http://datacenterdude.com/netapp/vsc-42-beta/ Under VSC Bug Fixes it mentions:

Upgraded to VDDK 5.1 to support W2K12

VDDK 5.1 has support for newer versions of Windows operation systems including Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012. P&C and O&M both have a dependency on the VDDK, so they have both been upgraded to the newest version in order for VSC to support the latest Microsoft OS’s.

True, however, Nick's page is referring to which *guest* operating systems VSC can *manage*.

VSC itself must still be installed on Windows Server 2008 or 2003.

well that makes sense, I completely read that wrong , thanks for pointing that out, case closed

Sure thing.

If it softens the blow, :-) ,  we are looking at what it would take to add support for VSC to be installed on Windows 2012.

I just can't commit to which release will get it.

It looks like everything else works fine except Backup and Recovery. Lucky it's in a lab environment

So the setup is now vCenter running on Windows 2012 and a separate Server running Windows 2008 for VSC. This is working perfectly.

We ran into the same issue. Is there any update, when this will support Windows 2012?