Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

What are the differences between the options autosupport.to and autosupport.partner.to?

jameslm

There appears to be some conflicting information in regard to the options autosupport.to and autosupport.partner.to. See example below. How can I determine which to use if both say regardless of severity level?

options autosupport.to [asp@itsupport.com, me@itsupport.com]

Defines the list of recipients who will receive all AutoSupport e-mail notifications regardless of the severity level. Up to five e-mail addresses are allowed. Enter the addresses as a comma-separated list with no spaces in between. By default, no list is defined.

options autosupport.partner.to [me@itsupport.com, you@itsupport.com]

Defines the list of recipients who will receive all AutoSupport e-mail notifications regardless of the severity level.

Thanks, Jim

8 REPLIES 8

andris

Please provide the source of this text (link, doc, etc.).

The .to destinations will not receive all AutoSupport messages. They are filtered by default rules in Data ONTAP. In 8.0 and later, the customer can tweak those rules with CLI commands.

ehepburn

I have noticed that this doc reports both autosupport.to and autosupport.partner.to receive all autosupports regardless of severity.

https://kb-stage.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013077&actp=LIST

Thanks,

Ean

amans

The autosupport.to and –to option defines the list of recipients who receive key AutoSupport messages, as defined in factory default settings

The -partner.to and –partner-address option defines the list of email addresses that will receive all AutoSupport email notifications regardless of the severity level. This option is typically used by NetApp support partners.

Regards,

Aman

ehepburn

Aman,

I agree.  I wasn't asking a question.  I was providing a link to some documentation that andris asked for.  Jameslm reported that some NetApp documentation said that both autosupport.to and autosupport.partner.to receive all AutoSupport notifications. Andrs asked for the source, but none was given.  I was merely providing the link the document as I have found the errorneous documentation as well.  Which is very confusing when you are trying to setup AutoSupport.  In finding this thread I have found my answer, but I thought I would post with the link in hopes that NetApp would become aware of this documentation error and correct it.

Thanks,

Ean

SeanHatfield

Those two options result in very different emails.  

.to sends a human readable text message about the event.  Not all events generate an email to the .to list.  

partner.to sends every asup and includes machine readable metadata in the message body and the raw ASUP data as an attachment called body.7z.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ehepburn

I guess there are no humans left?  Just robots that read the subject and not the body of the message?

If you are human, please read my previous reply.

Thanks,

Ean

SeanHatfield

I saw your response and the link you posted.  I thought the additional information would be useful.  The documentation as-is is pretty 'light'.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Dennis_Jennings

when tested on my 7mode machine i can set options autosupport.to as my email address and get a full ASUP body.7z in an email message.

when i clear options autosupport.to and set my email address in options autosupport.partner.to i get the exact same email message.

currently i see no difference between autosupport.to and autosupport.partner.to. maybe its just 5 more places to put an email address.

Public