Subscribe

Running compression on existing data for additional storage

I have a ONTAP 8.1.2 device running in 7-mode. I have 3.2 TB of CIFS data with deuplication savings of 720 GB. I suspect I will get more with compression. I have already enabled inline compression, but need to compress existing data.

My understanding of the steps is as follows:

1) Delete all snaphots 

2) Turn off active snapshots and nightly deduplication tasks

3) Run compression command: volume efficiency start -vserver vs1 -volume DataVol1 -scan-old-data true

4) Track progress of compression with this command: volume DataVol1 -fields progress

5) Once it is complete, I can re-enable the Snapshot and deduplication tasks

So, besides the risk of not be able to access old snapshot data, does this procedure look fine?

Re: Running compression on existing data for additional storage

It appears the commands I got from the data compression and storage efficiency guide won't work as volume is not available in my version of ONTAP.

Is there a way to do this with 8.1.2 7-mode?

I Think the commnads you are using are of c-mode. Please check once , because you had specified 7-mode. In 7-mode there is no concept of v-server. Once check the command it might work.

TR-3958 has information for storage efficiency with 7-mode that may be interesting to you.  The documentation for how to enable/disable compression for 8.1.2 7-mode is here.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.