Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

New-NcVolClone to make a Thin provisioned Clone volume issue .

DanChen

Hi Everyone ,

Recently I tried to implement the FlexClone function through New-NcVolClone ,I executed the same instructions on three different versions of ONTAP. The instructions are as follows:  

New-NcVolClone -ParentVolume "SC_SQL3_Y" -CloneVolume "SC_SQL3_Y_20240520" -Vserver "svm-iscsi" -ParentSnapshot "Hourly_SQL-146-USERDB_05-08-2024_12.00.01.2713_1" -SpaceReserve "none"

The three versions are ONTAP 9.3 P21 / 9.11.1 P11 / 9.14.1 P2. I hope to use the New-NcVolClone command to take a Flexclone specific snapshot and generate a new Thin povisioned volume.

So I used the parameter -SpaceReserve "none", but I didn't expect that the result only took effect in ONTAP 9.3. No matter how hard I try, the clones produced by 9.11.1 and 9.14.1 must be thick provisioned volumes, does this seem to be a difference caused by the ONTAP version? Or am I missing something? How do I get newer versions of ONTAP to also create thin provisioned volumes?

1 REPLY 1

saharsh

Hi,

Versions 9.11.1 and 9.14.1 make internal calls to Rest. The -SpaceReserve parameter is now  replaced with guarantee param in REST.
To set the Guarantee param you must include the -Guarantee argument in the same command when using the New-Ncvol command to type.

Also please let me know if you need any further help.

Public