Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Powershell Pipe issues

Beardmann

Hi there

This might be a PS issue more than a NetApp issue, yet I will give it a try here 🙂

I'm trying to do a list of snapshots on volumes that are older than a specific date...

I connect OK to the cluster, and I can go a get-ncvol with no issues.. but when I try to add pipes to it, so to get the snapshots, it complains... 

so this works OK:

$volumes = get-ncvol

But this fails:

$snapshots = get-ncvol | get-ncsnapshot

And this also fails:

$oldsnapshots = get-ncvol | get-ncsnapshot | where-object {$_.created -lt "$maxsnapshotdesiredage"}

Finding old snapshots...
get-ncsnapshot : Volume parameter neither specified nor set
At C:\Users\blah\Documents\list.ps1:15 char:17
+ $oldsnapshots | get-ncsnapshot | where-object {$_.created -lt "$maxsn ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-NcSnapshot], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Volume is empty,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Snapshot.GetNcSnapshot

So it looks like when ever I use a |Pipe| it complains... 

PS C:\Users\blah\Documents> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
5 1 14409 1029

This has been working from this Windows hosts before... so my guess it that it is some Powershell thing that has changed as it has most likely been upgraded since I last used it....

Any help is welcome...

2 REPLIES 2

clariion

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue. I have solved it by bypassing the pipes in the command.

$Volumes = Get-NcVol
$Snapshots = foreach ($Volume in $Volumes) {
$VolumeSnapshots = Get-NcSnapshot -Volume $Volume | Where-Object  {$_.created -lt "$maxsnapshotdesiredage"}
$VolumeSnapshots
}

RobDBA

Trying to pipe Get-NcVol to Get-NcSnapshot directly shouldn't work since they don't use the same parameter for specifying the volume name.  Use this method to rename the parameter on a pipe:

Get-NcVol | % { Get-NcSnapshot -Volume $_.Name }

Public