Simulator Discussions

Unable to launch simulator 8.2.1

KOTTEVISWANATH

Hi All,

I am trying to use Ontap 8.2.1 - 7 mode simulator from my VM workstation 10.0.1, I have enabled VT as well on my PC.

But as soon as I open the ONTAP file from VM Workstation, the ONTAP VM keeps booting again and again. Is this a known issue??

Kindly help..

Regards,

Viswanath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shatfield

The simulator ships with the equivalent of blank hard drives, so you have to install ONTAP.  (Boot menu, option 4).  

Shipping it that way minimizes the size of the download and makes it easier to customize, but I wish they would disable autoboot in the stock ENV file. 

On actual hardware that would usually be performed by the factory but its good to know how to do it.

Its all explained pretty well in the documentation which you can find on the Simulate ONTAP download page, or here:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/knowledge/docs/simulate_ontap/Simulate_ONTAP_8.2.1_Installation_and_Setup_Guide.pdf

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

KOTTEVISWANATH

I have tried option 4 from boot menu and it asked me if i can recreate everything. Looks like this option is to blow all the data and create a new root aggr and a new root vol(Since I don't have any data, I used option 4). But my question is, why am i stuck in boot screen for so long till I choose some option.

Isn't it supposed to configure on its own?

Regards,

Viswa

KOTTEVISWANATH

I am again facing the same boot issue when i tried to rebooted the VM. The VM keeps on booting and it never stops.

Can some one help me?

Regards,

Viswanath

shatfield

The simulator ships with the equivalent of blank hard drives, so you have to install ONTAP.  (Boot menu, option 4).  

Shipping it that way minimizes the size of the download and makes it easier to customize, but I wish they would disable autoboot in the stock ENV file. 

On actual hardware that would usually be performed by the factory but its good to know how to do it.

Its all explained pretty well in the documentation which you can find on the Simulate ONTAP download page, or here:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/knowledge/docs/simulate_ontap/Simulate_ONTAP_8.2.1_Installation_and_Setup_Guide.pdf

KOTTEVISWANATH

Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for the reply. I was able to install ONTAP sim by selecting option 4, it gave me a default root aggr, root vol with 900 MB and 14 un-owned V-disks.

However, when i tried to reboot the simulator I will again end in autoboot and the simulator boots again and again till I choose option 4. So does this mean when ever I reboot the simulator, I have to re-configure everything by selecting option 4, which will erase everything?

Regards,

Viswanath

shatfield

Something is wrong with that instance. Probably best to start over clean from the original .tgz file.

If it happens again from a clean start tell me what you are doing step by step. Reproducing that could be interesting.

KOTTEVISWANATH

Sean,

To my surprise, the simulator rebooted clean this time. The only change I made was to add few licenses(NFS/CIFS/Snapmirror etc). Not really sure what fixed the issue.

This question may sound silly but just wanted to ask. I am not using any management host for this simulation. On my PC I have installed VM Workstation 10 and on top of I am running ONTAP 8.2.1, my problem is I am not able to scroll up in the CLI. I neither have a scroll bar or Shift + Page up is working.

Any idea on what key to be used to scroll up in ONTAP?

Regards,

Viswanath

shatfield

Thats a limitation of the vidconsole.  Connect to the simulator over ssh (putty) and you will have a more functional CLI experience.

Public