Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

is there any changes on the API functions when DOT is upgraded from 8.0.3 to 8.1.4/8.2.3?

jorgeedugona

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could assist me with an API query I am working on. 

A customer is planning to upgrade their ONTAP 7-mode OS from 8.0.3 to 8.1.4/8.2.3. Are there any changes to the API behavior after the CDOT is upgraded? The current list of API’s they are using are:

NetApp API Category

API Function

lun

lun-list-info

lun-map-list-info

snapmirror

snapmirror-get-status

snapmirror-break

snapmirror-get-volume-status

snapmirror-resync

snapshot

snapshot-create

snapshot-list-info

snapshot-volume-info

system

system-get-version

volume

volume-clone-create

volume-destroy

volume-list-info

volume-offline

I have downloaded the latest 5.3.1 NetApp Manageability SDK documentation but I cannot determine whether there is API differentiation between the different versions of ONTAP 7-mode. I can only find the differences between OCUM, 7-mode and Cluster mode.

Regards

Jorge

1 REPLY 1

michael_england

Yes they'll change but I'm not 100% sure that'll mean your code will fail.  I'm also pretty sure you can talk an older version of ontapi to a newer controller.

Inside the sdk for java bindings there's a javadoc jar file for each version of ontap.  I extracted 8.0.3 and 8.2.2 and then did a manual look at each to see.  Many of them are different just in possible error codes (presumably because of cluster mode) but some have different inputs and outputs like SnapmirrorResyncRequest and it's response.  Again I'm not able to tell if this is just between 7-mode and cluster mode or between ontapi versions.

I do happen to have a few older filers around so I grabbed the ontapi versions for reference, not sure if that helps at all.

ontapi 1.13 - ontap 8.0.3

ontapi 1.18 - ontap 8.0.5P1

ontapi 1.19 - ontap 8.1.4P1

In the API documentation you can find a file called SDK_help.htm which will outline what APIs have been changed.  Unfortunately you need to hunt around a bit to find this documentation and the corresponding OnTap versions, although this is better after 8.2 as the doc matches the ontap version.

8.3 API Documentation (probably not as helpful)

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Software-Development-Kit-SDK-and-API-Discussions/NetApp-Manageability-SDK-5-3-ONTAP-8-3-API-Documentation/td-p/97533

8.2.2 API Documentation (best link I could find, about 2/3 way down)

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Software-Development-Kit-SDK-and-API-Discussions/Broken-link-for-SDK-API-Doc/td-p/95707

Public