Subscribe

Configuring SMVI for shared storage

Hello

I am trying to configure SMVI to use shared storage as per the TR released in Jan 10 (section 5.3).  I am using SMVI 2.0, vSphere with vCentre 4.0.0 build 208111 on a Win2k3 server.   I can start the GUI and log in if I leave it as a default config with the files on the C: partition.  I can also execute smvi cli commands like smvi servercredential list.

I have created a vol on the filer and a LUN with Snapdrive and mapped it to H:\.  I have stopped the SMVI service, and I have created the directories as specified in the TR.  I edited the smvi.config and smvi.override files as specified in the TR and copied the cred file to the new H:\ directories.  I restarted the SMVI service and now when I enter the GUI and use the same login/password as before it doesnt log into SMVI.  If i use SMVI CLI and execute the same command it tells me "Connection to the server refused: Ensure that the server is running".

I created the user with the smvi servercredential list that I wanted to log in with, and i checked that this user can log into vCentre.

Anyone done this and got it working, and have any ideas what could be wrong ?

Dave

Re: Configuring SMVI for shared storage

Hi Dave,

As mentioned in the TR mapped drive and mount points do not work. In case you haven't could you please try to create a disk and format it using the disk manager?

REgards

Amrita

Hi Dave,

Another quick question you mentioned "TR released in Jan 10 (section 5.3).  " Did you mean Jan 20? We have updated the older version of this TR with updated steps for SMVI on shared storage.

http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3737.html

REgards

Amrita

Hi Amrita

I am not sure I understand completely, but I created a vol and qtree on the Netapp, then installed DSM MPIO and Snapdrive on the vCentre/SMVI server and created a LUN using Snapdrive and assigned it the drive letter H, and then Snapdrive created it and formatted it.  Is this the wrong way of doing it ?

EDIT: I just saw your reply, sorry if it was unclear, I meant the SMVI v2 TR dated Jan 2010 (you probably know this document well ;-) )

Dave

Hi DAve,

Do you need DSM? It can cause problems if you have only one path. Also are you trying to install on a cluster resource owned by another node? We would need to take a look at the ONTAPWinDC logs to be certain of the exact problem. You could log a case since we were able configure SMVI in our lab without running into this.

Regards

Amrita

Hi Amrita

We need DSM MPIO as the FC SAN is a dual switch and redundant path configuration.  The H drive LUN was created as a dedicated LUN and not a shared MSCS LUN.

It seems to be something to do with when it needs to look at the cred file that has been moved to the H drive location that it is failing.  I have checked permissions on the drive/folders and this is OK.

I can log a case for it.

Dave

Hey all,

I too am having the same problem.  I have SMVI/vCenter as a virtual machine, with the MS iSCSI initiator and access to an iSCSI LUN on the NetApp.  When I follow the TR and try to move to shared storage, I too cannot login to the SMVI GUI.  I've done this before with SMVI 1.0, but this is my 1st attempt with 2.0.  I have a case open with NetApp.  Has anyone made progress with this?

ydk Former NetApp Employee

Based on your description, it appears that SMVI is not able to locate credentials or keystore file. Can you please confirm the value for the key http.ssl.keystore.file in smvi.override file? The value of this key should be valid path for smvi.keystore file. If that doesn't solve the problem, we need to investigate further and will need to check smvi.config, smvi.override files as well as log files.

Hey dave,

Can you also try what ydk mentioned?

REgards

Amrita

I configured the shared storage LUN as the H drive as it was consistent with the TR and easier that way !!!

smvi.config contents:

smvi.repository.path=H:\\NetApp\\SMVI\\\server\\repository

flow.persistence.embedded.storageLocation=H:\\NetApp\\SMVI\\\server\\crash

smvi.override contents:

credential.persistence.file.path=H:\\NetApp\\SMVI\\\server\\etc\\cred (i copied the cred file to this location after SMV successfully started with the config on the C drive)

http.ssl.keystore.file=C:\\Program Files\\NetApp\\SMVI\\\server\\etc (i tried this as the C drive and then the H drive and neither worked)

I am not on site at the customer now but I will ask them for the log and add this to case 2001265952 and put it here.

Dave