Community

Announcements
Welcome to the new NetApp Community. Learn how to get started.
mlisa

Got questions about SMVI?

Our team is very interested in the questions posted on SMVI functionality, configuration, and automation … thanks for taking the time to share.  And please keep the questions and feedback on your experiences working with SMVI, good or bad, coming.  Good feedback makes for a good day, bad feedback makes for a better product J.

I also wanted to let you know that NetApp is hosting an SMVI/SRM Webcast on February 19 focusing on data protection in a VMware environment: NetApp SMVI for backup/restore and VMware SRM for disaster recovery. SDDPC Sys Admin Rick Scherer - who designed and maintains a 25 host VMware ESX 3.5 farm with well over 300 Virtual Machines, plus writes a great blog (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/) - will be joining us to describe how his team uses SMVI. There will also be a panel of folks, including best practices authors and reference architects, to address questions submitted via chat.

Webcast: http://communications.netapp.com/p/Network_Appliance/20090219140000WL?REF_SOURCE=communitie...

Lisa Haut-Mikkelsen

SMVI Product Manager

BrendonHiggins

Re: Got questions about SMVI?

I am in the UK and it will be late in the evening here when this event starts.  Will the streamed contents be recorded and available via the now site, after the event?

We are currently using OSSV to backup our VMs but will be changing to SMVI soon and it will be good to know about some of the "holes in the road" before we hit them?

Brendon

ulrik_ivers

Hi,

I get a 404 error when trying to access the URL pointing to the webcast. Could you please point me to correct location for info about the webcast?

Regards,

/Ulrik

BrendonHiggins

I had the same issue. Work around is to copy the URL and paste into

browser.

Bren

ulrik_ivers

Great!

Thanks Brendon.

/Ulrik

peterhegg

Hi

we run smvi 1.0.1 for several weeks now and it is pretty stable (compared to 1.0!). last night, 2 of our daily backup jobs started off - and they still are in running state, producing event 4096 in the application log like this:

1st an Error:

2936921 [backup2 6778732c8323002d813f32f6dab0368e] ERROR com.netapp.common.flow.JDBCPersistenceManager - FLOW-10110: Lock "50228a39-7eba-0c39-5d7c-bb5b34be305f" already held by backup-create operation 9a80d4f1bc7f39fa6e4cabb0559a097a []

2nd a warning:

2936921 [backup2 6778732c8323002d813f32f6dab0368e] WARN com.netapp.smvi.task.AcquireVirtualMachineLockWrapper - Could not lock all virtual machines. The lock process will continue to be retried until it succeeds.

During yesterday afternoonn I was trying to restore a Test-VM which failed! Coud that maybe disturb the backup jobs?

I cannot stop the 2 backup jobs - have restarted the vc server (where smvi is also installed) - nothing helps. I cannot start new ones - so we are somewhat looked up!

Hope anyone can give me a hint how to stop this...

Thanks in advance

Peter

joshb

If you want to just clear out the current problem so that you can

continue running again, please read our knowledge base article,

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb45786 .

peterhegg

I get an error: "Solution does not exist in this knowledge base" when clicking the link!

Peter Hegg

Datacenter

Systems Engineer

MCSE / CCEA / VCP

in4U AG

Werkstrasse 36

3250 Lyss

Tel  +41 32 387 82 19

Fax +41 32 387 81 11

E-Mail: peter.hegg@in4u.ch

Besuche Sie uns im Internet unter: www.in4u.ch

Visitez nous sur Internet: www.in4u.ch

Visit our homepage: www.in4u.ch

peterhegg

Oh - we found out, why the scheduled Jobs were running all night long until 30 minutes ago! One of the volumes on the DR filer was removed because the storage people were thinking, we don't need it anymore. But the SMVI jobs trigger a snapmirror update and that was failing all the time.

Again it would be very nice to get to know, how we could stop these running jobs. As a said - we tried reinstalling SMVI, clearing all sorts of temp files and rebooting the VC-Server several times. Those jobs just cannot be killed!

Peter

joshb

I'm glad you found the cause on your end.

You can clear out ALL running tests by using the following steps (from that KB article)

SnapManager for VI utilizes an internal database to keep track of these locks and provides persistence across reboots. Simply rebooting the SnapManager for VI host will not clear these locks.

If you want to remove all currently running tasks in SMVI, perform the following:

1. Stop SnapManager for VI service.
  2. Remove the <SMVI dir>/server/crashdb directory.
  3. Start SnapManager for VI service.

Performing these steps will not affect the scheduled jobs nor remove them from the interface. It will kill and remove any outstanding or in process tasks.