VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 4.0 - Optimization and Migration - No optimized datastore

pedro_rocha

Hello,

We are starting to use the optimization and migration funcionality in VSC 4.0. After provisioning one datastore via VSC, I moved one VM to this new datastore and started to scan it.

The scan has ended and the VM was put on the actually aligned group. Ok, very nice.

On the scan manager, where I have the list of datastores, that new datastore with the actually aligned VM is listed as NO optimized. Why is that (no optimized)? How does it work?

DOT is 8.0.2P6, VSC 4.0, ESXi 5.0

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

24 REPLIES 24

justin_smith

In one environment its 6 - 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7

keitha

Ouch...Thats almost a full set!

What I would recommend is focus on the ones with a high VM count. Those are the ones hurting the controller (unless you have balance then you can see which misaligned VM is doing the most IO). Then Create the Optimized LUNs and move those VMs into the specific LUNs. Hopefully some of those more uncommon offsets (2, 4, 5, 6) only have a few VMs in them and those you may just want to correct with VM Convertor if you can... Managing 6 types of offset LUNs is a bit of an operational pain.

justin_smith

Its almost to the point where we're going to get a couple new controllers and put everything NEW on the new controller, and everything else will be the red headed step children until they die or retire....

Im working with NetApp to get my VSC plugin to actually work in my production environment... that offset # is going to be scary.

Thanks for all the insight though, helped a lot.

MRJORDANG

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.  This is probably one of the best Q&A sessions regarding vm/datastore alignment.  Bookmarked.

Public