Simulator Discussions

8.1 Simulator core dumps

chanaka_ek
I've had a nummber of instances of 8.1 simulator running on Vmware workstation 8 and every single one of them goes to panic mode after a while and ends up with a core dump. when you restart the filer, it never boots up successfully but instead keeps going in to the same core dump mode.... This happens to every one of them after running for about 3 -5 days...
The only thing worth noting is that
  • I've modified the serial numbers on them (in order to be able to add to OnCommand DFM) as per the NetApp recommended steps (set bootarg.nvram.sysid=1111111101 & set SYS_SERIAL_NUM=1111111101)
  • I've added 2 x additional disk shelves and populated them with the 28 x 1GB disks, again as per NetApp recommendation

Any idea why this is happening?? anyone else with the same problem??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shatfield

The panic you are seeing is caused by changing the sysid/serial number after the first boot.  The file referenced by the panic: /sim/dev/,disks/,reservations is used to simulate scsi reservations on the simulated hard disks.  Since you've changed the sysid, you need to remove that file so a new one can be created.

To remove that file:

1. power on the simulator
  2. Press ctrl-C when prompted to stop at the boot menu
  3. At the boot menu prompt, enter this command instead of picking a menu item:
    systemshell
  4. At the systemshell prompt, enter this command to remove the reservations file:
    rm /sim/dev/,disks/,reservations
  5. Type exit to return to the boot menu:
    exit
  6. At the boot menu, pick option 8 to reboot the simulator

The old sysid is also imprinted on the nvram slice, so you will probably see a message during the next boot asking if you want ot overwrite.  Pick "y"

If you have installed ontap (option 4) before changing the sysid, you will also need to boot into maintenance mode and reassign the disks to the new sysid.  Search my old posts for a full walk through of this particular scenario.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

radek_kubka

chanaka_ek

Not quite sure if its the same thing.... in my case, I can change both the serial number and the sys id successfully but the problem is the eventual core dump. It appears that few others are having the same issue....

Now what I dont know is if the core dump happens because of this sys id and serial num change.... do you??

radek_kubka

Now what I dont know is if the core dump happens because of this sys id and serial num change.... do you??

I don't know that either, but thought it may be related.

Vinu

Hi Guys

I am also getting the error core dumping to disk , its reporting like CORE DUMP: START core dumping to disk  then after its completing coredumping then shows like CORE DUMP END

Please find the attachment also , i am geeting the error in vsim.

Please to sort me this problem

shatfield

The useful part has already scrolled off screen.    What was the panic message?

If the panic was from the sysid/serial change it would panic at boot, every time. 

Sometimes the IDE drive containing the sim disks fills.  If you've added disks, check df -h from the systemshell to see if the device mounted on /sim is full.  8.1 was still a classic disk model vsim, so it should be a slice off ad0.  On newer standard diskmodel sims its on ad3.  Classic diskmodel sims used to have pretty small /sim volumes, but I don't recall when they changed to the larger device.

Vinu

Hi ,

Thank you for your valuable response,

Please see  my attchment which i have attached in this mail then you will able to understand clearly my problem.

I am not able to get the Data ONTAP prompt also, frequently it is going to core dumping to disk then rebooting .

but i can able to get maintanance mode and loader, now guide me what i have to do recovery my Data ONTAP prompt and if possible provide some of commands .

May i know why this kind of errors occurs, what is the reason and solution .

Thank you

Vinodkumar

shatfield

The panic you are seeing is caused by changing the sysid/serial number after the first boot.  The file referenced by the panic: /sim/dev/,disks/,reservations is used to simulate scsi reservations on the simulated hard disks.  Since you've changed the sysid, you need to remove that file so a new one can be created.

To remove that file:

1. power on the simulator
  2. Press ctrl-C when prompted to stop at the boot menu
  3. At the boot menu prompt, enter this command instead of picking a menu item:
    systemshell
  4. At the systemshell prompt, enter this command to remove the reservations file:
    rm /sim/dev/,disks/,reservations
  5. Type exit to return to the boot menu:
    exit
  6. At the boot menu, pick option 8 to reboot the simulator

The old sysid is also imprinted on the nvram slice, so you will probably see a message during the next boot asking if you want ot overwrite.  Pick "y"

If you have installed ontap (option 4) before changing the sysid, you will also need to boot into maintenance mode and reassign the disks to the new sysid.  Search my old posts for a full walk through of this particular scenario.

Vinu

Hi ,

i followed your steps and remove the reservations file after that i have rebooted while booting its not asking any overwrite as like you mention your previous post.

after booting again its going to core dumping to disk but this time panic message was changed .

please to see the attachment after removing reservation file and reboot the node. Its showing that aggregate offline but i checked in maintainance mode that aggr0 is online.

Regards

Vinod

shatfield

Go back into the systemshell and check the free space on /sim

Can you post a df -h from the systemshell?

Vinu

Please find the attchment of df -h

Regards

Vinod

Vinu

Please find the attachment of df -h.

shatfield

disk space looks fine.

Did you any any sim disks, or is it still the default 24x1gb?  

Vinu

May be it is 24x1g.... is there any solution

shatfield

At this point I think you are better off building a new sim.  That panic used to show up when the host crashed unexpectedly or the vm was shut down improperly.  Maybe a wafliron, but probably not worth the effort.

Vinu

Okay , I will go with new vsim, anyway thank you very much for your precious support and it was really great.

And i have  follwed one of your post that increase root volume it was great result to me, i was suffered with that problem two days but your post was solved me , thank you so much.

If you dont mind , Could you  share me your personal Mail Id or else Please text me vinod.karvati@gmail.com this is my mail Id, it is really awesome moments to share with you.

Thanks & Regards

Vinodkumar K

India.

shatfield

You are wwelcome Vinu.  If you find one of my posts helpful, even the older ones, you can help other people find them by clicking on the kudo link to add a kudo.

This board is indexed and searcheable on google, so you may want to remove your email from that last post.  You can send me a private message on the forum instead.

Public