VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 4.2.1 and Clustered Data OnTap SnapMirror

SYNTAXERROR

Hi all

I've installed a cDOT system on a customer site. They're using vSphere 5.0U1 at the moment so I need to install VSC 4.2.1 and cannot use VSC 5.0.

Is there a possiblity to use SnapVault (aka SnapMirror XDP) for cDOT with VSC 4.2.1 or do I have to upgrade to VSC 5.0?

I think there are no SnapMirror-labels with VSC 4.2.1 or are there?

Kind regards

Dario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SYNTAXERROR

Now I've made a script for it because I had the problem with a big customer with SnapMirror XDP and a SnapMirror DP cascade.

The installation and what it covers is described in the documentation.

Try it and let me know if it needs any enhancements or there are any bugs.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

SYNTAXERROR

Now I've made a script for it because I had the problem with a big customer with SnapMirror XDP and a SnapMirror DP cascade.

The installation and what it covers is described in the documentation.

Try it and let me know if it needs any enhancements or there are any bugs.

CHANDRAREDDY

CHANDRAREDDY

Hi,

Thank you so much for the script, I have been searching for this solution from few days, However, I need few modifications in this script, Could you please help me to get proper script to match my requrirement

I am using VSC 4.2.1 and doing the snapmirror from vol A to vol B, Now I want to set snapvault relation from Vol A to Vol C( new volume) by using the snapshot created by VSC for snapmirror update.

At the moment VSC  creating hourly, daily and weekly snapshots and performing mirror updates, Now I want to select only weekly recent snapshot send to vault and I dont want hourly and daily recent snapshot), In your script, you are selecting the recent snapshot with tailend parameter recent, Could you please let me know, if there is a way to select only weekly recent snapshots, but not the hourly and daily

EX: hourly snapshots SMVI_<VSC_hourly_xxxxx>_novmsnap_recent

Daily snapshots SMVI_<VSC_daily_XXX>_novmsnap_recent

Weekly snapshots SMVI_<VSC_weekly_XXX>_novmsnap_recent

and I can remove the snapmirror casade update  part , as I need only vault update.

looking for an update on this.

SYNTAXERROR

Hi,

You can create a new backup job for weekly updates in VSC and just add the script there. The case would be hourly and daily in one job and weekly backups in another job with the script attached. In my opinion this should work.

If you don't have any cascades on the SnapVault destination volumes the script will do nothing.

If something don't work send me a message and we can correct it. I hope it will work 😉

Regards

semni

Hi Syntaxerror

Is there anyone tested/verified this script for 8.3x already? Is there any differences? Struggling  a bit for the moment.

SYNTAXERROR

Hi semni

I've tested it with cDOT 8.3RC2 and it should work... attached is the new and tested version...

I had a problem with VSC on a 2012R2 Server installed and I can't use HTTPS at the moment and don't know why...

lornedornak

I've installed the PS script and conf file in...

D:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\svvmcdot

When I run the script I get this in the log file...

-------------------------------------------------
Started Script version 14052015065816 at 14-05-2015 06:58:16
Param user: svvmcdot_user
Param password is hidden
Param snapmirror-label: vsc_daily

Config file does not exist!
Please create the config \svvmcdot.conf with the following content:
<SVM,MGMTIP,NFSIP> like
SVM002,10.2.5.22,10.0.0.50

The only way I could make this work is by the following...

Move the conf file to...

D:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\scripts

And remove the "\" from this line...

$configfile = "$PSScriptRoot"+"\svvmcdot.conf"

So that it looks like this...

$configfile = "$PSScriptRoot"+"svvmcdot.conf"

I really don't want to keep the conf file in the scripts directory, because it shows up in VSC when creating jobs.  Is there a simple fix for this?

SYNTAXERROR

Have you found the fix for it?

Which version of Powershell is installed?

AJHunt

Hi Syntax,

I have used your scripts both new and old, but I can't get to continue the process. It is stucked on data protection part. Can you give me advice or suggestions on this? I have attached a portion of the log below:

Hoping to get a response from you soon. Thanks!

Logs:

Rename Snapshot smvi_test_novmsnap_recent to smvi_test_novmsnap_20151026233619 for Volume esx_ds_t060_lin_app_vol_Vault...
Searching for data_protection destinations for Volume esx_ds_t060_lin_app_vol_Vault...

Ended script (version 26102015223739) at 26-10-2015 22:38:23
-------------------------------------------------

SYNTAXERROR

Hi AJ

What kind of OnTap version are you using?

The SnapMirror XDP (vault) are working correct?

Have you established the SnapMirror relationsships of type DP?

AJHunt

Hi Syntax, thanks for responding promptly to my question.

Before the update to ONTAP 8.3, "Searching for vault destinations" part was working fine, but now it is not working same as my previous issue which is the data protection. Right now, my log ends at "Searching for vault destinations..", and yes I have created a snapmirror relationship for XDP, none for DP.

Could this be because of the upgrade to ONTAP 8.3?

Now my log is stucked here:

Setting label VSC_DAILY to esx_ds_t060_lin_app_vol...

Searching for vault destinations for Volume esx_ds_t060_lin_app_vol...

Ended script (version 27102015012203) at 27-10-2015 01:22:23

Thank you!

AJHunt

Hi Syntax,

We do not have to do the DP relationship, so should I omit this part of the script? We only need the XDP relationship for this task. Please advise. Thanks Syntax.

Regards,

AJ

SYNTAXERROR

Hi AJ

It doesn't matter if you don't have a DP relationship. We use this script for our customers and they don't have DP relationships.

Are you using type "vault" or type "vault-mirror" relationships?

Have you updated the powershell toolkit after updating from cDOT 8.2 to 8.3?

Regards

AJHunt

Hi Syntax,

We are using "Vault" relationship for this environment (non-prod), and will be using "Mirror-Vault" for another environment (Prod). Just a thought, this could be the reason why data_protection part of the script is not working?

I haven't updated the PS yet after upgrading to ONTAP 8.3.

I have attached a screenshot of my PS version.

Thank you!

SYNTAXERROR

Hi AJ

You have to do a

Import-Module dataontap

and then

get-module

You will then see the module version.

Data OnTap Powershell Toolkit 3.2 brings full support for cDOT 8.3. Have you ever rebooted after the installation of the toolkit?

Regards

AJHunt

We haven't updated our Toolkit yet, will get back to you once we get to update it. Thanks Syntax.

AJHunt

Hi Syntax,

My SnapVault is now working fine with one of our datastores, but when I tried to implement the process to other datastore, it is not copying the snapshot to the vault volume.

Do you have any ideas what could be the cause of this? I have checked the snapmirror relationship, user permissions, they are fine. On the logs, the script was able to update snapmirror and rename the snapshot, which means the script worked fine but no snapshot was copied to the vault volume.

Thank you!

Regards,

AJ

SYNTAXERROR

Hi AJ

Did the Powershell Toolkit upgrade resolved your problem?

Are you adding a new datastore to the existing backup job or are you creating a new backup job?

Does the log include your new datastore?

Regards

AJHunt

Hi Syntax,

Thank you for responding promptly.

I am creating a new job for another datastore and it is not working. By the way, I removed the 2nd part of the script (data protection) for my 1st datastore and it is working fine. However, it's a different story with my other datastore. According to the logs, renaming of snapshot and snapmirror update is successful, but no snapshot is present on the destination volume. This worked fine with my 1st datastore.

I am wondering, maybe there's an issue with the destination volume?

Please advise.

Thanks,

AJ

SYNTAXERROR

Hi AJ

Have you got an own cmd file for the second job?

Is this also a snapvault relationship and the dp policy is correctly attached?

Kind regards

Public