VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC for VCSA 6.5

thomasb82

Hi guys,

as VMware is pushing more and more VCSA we want to migrate from vCenter 6 running on Windows to the VCSA 6.5

When will VSC be available for VCSA 6.5 (without the need of running it on another Windows machine)?

Thanks!

78 REPLIES 78

AmitPanchal

There is no definitive date for VSC support with VCSA 6.5 but it will be planned for a future release. However VSC 6.2.x will continue to be on Windows. VSC 7.0 planned for June-2017, aligned with ONTAP 9.2 will be shipped as a vApp.

smeijboom

Will there be a version before June that supports vSphere 6.5 in general?

thomasb82

Any update?

Thanks!

waterwegwonen

I would also like to know, just for our planning purposes on the update to vSphere 6.5

Lansac

It would be nice to have some feedback about this issue. We have already upgraded to VCSA 6.5 and VSC 6.2.1 but there some VSC funtionalities doesn't work and we are planning to downgrade to VSCA 6.0 and VSC6.1.

waterwegwonen

Hi,

@Lansac wrote:

It would be nice to have some feedback about this issue. We have already upgraded to VCSA 6.5 and VSC 6.2.1 but there some VSC funtionalities doesn't work and we are planning to downgrade to VSCA 6.0 and VSC6.1.

installing VSC 6.2.1 on vSphere 6.5 appeared to work fine at first, backups were created and I could clone VM's. However, after a reboot of the vCenter server all hell broke loose. vCenter refused to start. The webclient crashed upon starting and we were unable to recover from that and had to restore a backup of the vCenter server in order to get access to vCenter again.

Did you already rebooted the vCenter server or restarted the vCenter services and did it kept working?

Frank.

Lansac

No, we have not rebooted the vCenter after installing VSC 6.2.1, and I will not try it... We found some problems restoring backups and the LogViewer doesn't work well.

silverwulf

Same story here. Any update? Really like the functionality of 6.5, but cannot use for production until VSC is supported.

Thanks!

jjardina_dtech

I too am wanting to upgrade to 6.5 but cannot until there is a workable VSC from NetApp.  I have done searches all over Netapp and the internet and this thread is the only thing I can find.

Thanks for your findings guys. 

smeijboom

The only info i could find online, was someone who posted this:

• VSC 6.2.1 will vCenter 6.5. The timeline is January, 2017.

• SRA 2.1 will not be supported with SRM 6.5

• SRA 3.0 will not be supported with SRM 6.5

• SRA 4.0 will be released in January 2017 and will support SRM 6.5.

• SRA 4.0 will support SRM 6.0 and 6.1 as well as 6.5.

silverwulf

Where did you find that VSC 6.2.1 supports vcenter 6.5. I dont see 6.5 in the compatibility matrix yet.

Same story here. I cannot go production Vcenter 6.5 until VSC is supported.

Thanks,

Silver

smeijboom

I wasn't clear on that, but it's said that 6.2.1 will get a patch for 6.5 support.

Marco79

Any news here?

smeijboom

What i found now is this:

VSC 6.2.1P1 will be released around Feb 23

silverwulf

I heard the same. Some time in February from our Netapp SE.

Thanks for confirming.

Joeyh
Looks like it's compatible now but I haven't tried it. Does anyone know if the VCSA can take datastore snaps or do you have you have vSphere Center running on Windows to utilize the retired - SMVI apis?

waterwegwonen

The release notes are updated to february 2017, but the setup file itself is still from October 14th, 2016. So I don't assume it's compatible now without a new release of VSC.

Franc.

waterwegwonen

Addition, just noticed it. When going to the download software section of VSC only 6.2.1 is listed, but when you explicitly search for 6.2.1P1 on the sofware download page you can download P1 dated February 23.

tonimartin

VSC 6.2.1P1 is working just fine with VCSA 6.5. I have an installation with SnapCenter 2.0 and its working as expected.

Public