AFF, NVMe, and EF-Series Discussions

AFF200 Headupgrade

thomas382

Hello;

We want to upgrade our AFF200, Dualhead, is there an Best Practice Procedure or a Manual you could recommend?

Many Thanks, Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

There's a lot more to it than just putting in the new controllers. Most customers will get Partner or NetApp PS for the headswap.    

Edit:  there are two ways to do "upgrade controllers".     There's the "head swap" part, which is moving disks to a new controller pair;   or Volume move, which is taking a 2 node cluster and making it a 4 node cluster temporary and moving over the volumes. and converting it back to a 2 node cluster.   

I've not ever done a head swap with internal disks honestly,  those systems i've always moved using the vol move method.  

For the A200 to A220,  I don't think you'd be moving the controllers, you'd be moving the disks in to a A220 chassis/controller.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mjizzini

thomas382

Thanks Mjizzini,

I already upgraded to the newest Ontap Version, can i finde a Manual for the Head upgrade from AFF200 to AFF220?

Many Thanks, Thomas

SpindleNinja

thomas382

Thanks SpindleNinja;

Do i understand you right

When i only change the AFF200 Controllers to AFF220 Controllers, we keep the Shelf and  HDDs, after reload/takeover/giveback the old system didn't came up with the same Settings?

Do i need to add them as additional Nodes like in the Manual?

Thanks, Thomas

SpindleNinja

There's a lot more to it than just putting in the new controllers. Most customers will get Partner or NetApp PS for the headswap.    

Edit:  there are two ways to do "upgrade controllers".     There's the "head swap" part, which is moving disks to a new controller pair;   or Volume move, which is taking a 2 node cluster and making it a 4 node cluster temporary and moving over the volumes. and converting it back to a 2 node cluster.   

I've not ever done a head swap with internal disks honestly,  those systems i've always moved using the vol move method.  

For the A200 to A220,  I don't think you'd be moving the controllers, you'd be moving the disks in to a A220 chassis/controller.  

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public