AFF

migrating AFF A700 switched cluster to switch less

Sudireddy

currently we are using 4*10GbE (e4a,e4b,e4c,e4d) and e8a.e8b.e8c,e8d) to CN1610 swicthes.

looking for steps to migrate this to two node switchless cluster.

Can we leverage e4e and e8e 40gbE ports for cluster connections?

if yes, current we have 8 cluster lifs on each node total 16, do they become 2 on each node total 4?

Please outline some steps

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

Why?   is a good question I like to start out with.  

There's nothing in the switched to switchless doc for this exact thing that I can find.   

So you have e4e and e8e free on each controller?   Both are supported cluster connections. 

I would think that you'd eventually want to end up with just two cluster ports and 2 lifs per controller.    

I would do something like this;   

Cable the new 40GB ports to each other.   

Introduce them to the Cluster broadcast domain and IP space.    

I would think you could move cluster lifs 1 and 2 on each controller to the new ports.  and remove the old lifs and ports from the Cluster broadcast domain and ipspace.  

However... This is where I would check with support as the removing cluster lif KB is no longer available.  

Sudireddy

Thanks for your inputs and you understood my requirement exactly. Yes we have ports e4e and e8e available on each controller.

I am looking for the supported cable types for this 40GbE cluster connections.

SpindleNinja

You can find that info at the Hardware universe.  hwu.netapp.com    Platforms -> AFF -> ONTAP ver -> A700 

Click "supported cards"  and you can find the supported part numbers of the cables for the 40GB cards. 

Public