AFF

Space-Allocation performance sacrifice

aarond

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of migrating between CSV's in our Hyper-V 2016 Cluster, and it's getting a pain to run space-reclamation, so I looked up to see options to automate it, and it turns out, there's built in feature called space-allocation that will do it on the fly.  Now my understanding is that for ease of implementation and non-disruptive behavior, it'll make sense to create new CSV's set with the option and then migrate my VM's to the new CSV.  No problem with that.  But I see that enabling the feature will cause a performance hit.  I have five approximately 2TB each CSV's stored on my AFF-A200.  Would there be noticeable performance decrease? Does anyone have any real world comparisons of this?  What would be the performance counters to check?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

GidonMarcus

Hi

What is your refernce for any performance sacrifice?

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4597.pdf

"Note that there is no performance penalty when using thin provisioning with ONTAP systems; data is written to available space so that write performance and read performance are maximized"

Gidi
Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Public