Cloud Insights

E-Series REST API collector coming soon.... or real, real soon

ostiguy

Hey all,

One of the engineering projects we have been working on is building a E-Series collector for CI that uses E-Series' REST API. This should be easier for us to implement enhancements in the future, but also allow easier troubleshooting for y'all in the field as TLS+HTTP is more easily understood versus the legacy API.

We are going to ship this in a few weeks, but I could patch a CI tenant to expose this new collector option today, if you would like. This will result in a new E-Series REST collector tile option for collector creation.

From a functionality standpoint, the REST collector currently is ~105% of what you are accustomed to with the existing legacy API option - we have added a few minor enhancements like populating the "isEncrypted" boolean value as appropriate, and node utilization % as a performance counter is available.

Questions you may have:

How do I get it early? I want to be in with the in-crowd!

PM me here, or email ostiguy at netapp dot com, with your CI tenant URI.

How do I migrate to it?

Ensure you have a CI AU with HTTPS connectivity to the E-Series array. Create a new E-Series REST collector, and once it is successful, you can then remove the legacy collector

Will I lose history if I follow the migration plan above?

Nope

What is required?

Monitor/read only level credentials, and HTTPS connectivity to the array from a CI Acquisition Unit hosting the collector. You can populate the IP/hostname field with a comma delimited string - the collector ONLY needs to speak to one controller in the array, but if you populate this field with a comma delimited string, CI should intelligently attempt to speak to the second controller IF for whatever reason the first is inaccessible. Populating this field with only one IP/simple hostname/FQDN is also technically possible, but probably not a best practice for resiliency.

Is the off-array installable E-Series REST API deployment supported?

No - we are only targeting E-Series arrays with native REST API capabilities. We'd recommend continuing to use the legacy collector for any older arrays lacking native REST API capabilities.

Matt

0 REPLIES 0
Public