FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

Reset Service Processor Login

RichardParry

I've recently bought a couple of FAS2520's with dual controllers each and 2x DS2246 shelves with everything populated with 900GB SAS drives. I got these a very good price for learning purposes.

The previous user of these haphazardly wiped them and whilst they have ONTAP still installed, they are in a mess in terms of configuration/setup.

I am also completely new to the NetApp platform, so learning as I go along.

I am concentrating on the one SAN right now - It has 2x controllers both running 8.2.3 7-Mode. The previous user has lost all licence details - so that's another thing to sort out. I have another community thread open on that.

The first thing is, I have gone into the CTRL+C and done a option 4 wipe on both controllers. I've then setup all the parameters, so I have SSH access into ONTAP on both.

The main reason for this particular post though is that a password appears to be set on the service processor on each controller but I cannot find how to reset this. I have tried the default of admin / netapp!123, but that doesn't work. The previous owner told me a password, but that didn't work either.

Is there a way, through either the serial console or via the ONTAP CLI to reset the service processor password so I can gain SSH access?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichardParry

OK - So I found an obscure article online about 7-mode SP login being naroot rather than admin, and that worked. It has inherited the root password I set during the controller setup.

Every NetApp knowledgebase article I found said the username was admin for the service processor.

So for this one - All sorted 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RichardParry

OK - So I found an obscure article online about 7-mode SP login being naroot rather than admin, and that worked. It has inherited the root password I set during the controller setup.

Every NetApp knowledgebase article I found said the username was admin for the service processor.

So for this one - All sorted 🙂

View solution in original post

andris

Richard,

Most of NetApp ONTAP documentation is online - the key is to specify your version and mode specifics.

E.g.  ontap 8.x 7-Mode SP login

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ontap+8.x+7-Mode+SP+login

The 1st hit is:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1155684

Pg 193.

The SP comes with an account named "naroot". Only the SP naroot account and Data ONTAP user accounts with the credentials of the admin role or a role with the login-sp capability can log in to the SP. These users have access to all commands available on the SP.

Richard,

I'm glad you were able to figure it out! What articles did you reference? If we need to improve a KB you can contact us directly or leave feedback on the appropriate KB. @DrewC or myself can help ensure those updates are done.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public