ONTAP Hardware

SP unresponsive, PANIC: The 0 is not a supported platform

TheodorM

Hello everyone!

I recently received a used Netapp with two FAS2220 Controllers in it (I believe it is therefore called FAS2220-2 or  DS2246). I wanted to set it up from scratch to learn how to configure such storage systems.  I managed to do so on one of the two controllers (the B side) which is now up and running again (bootvars have been set to perform factory reset, wipeconfig has been executed, disks have been zeroed). Now i attempted to do the same on the other (the A side), but it wont boot. I might as well be that it has not booted before i factory reset the B side. 

So, on the impaired controller, when i attach the serial console and boot it, it stays for an abnormal (multiple minutes) long time at the following line: "BIOS is scanning PCI Option ROMs, this will take few seconds...". After that i recieve two abnormal error messages: "SP - FRU IPMI Read Error" and "No Response to Controller FRU ID Read Request via IPMI". The boot process then is aborted due to these errors and i get a loader prompt. Continueing the boot process results in the error "PANIC: The 0 is not a supported platform". System does not react to Ctrl-G at any point of the process. "sp status" from the load prompt also results in a timeout error message. I tried netbooting at least three versions (8.1.2, 8.3.1, 8.3.2), always resulting in an error with varying wording of  "platform not supported".

As far as i can tell, there is most likely a problem with the SP (Service Processor), since it does not answer commands or reacts to Ctrl-G. But i do not completly understand how/why it keeps the system from booting. Is there anything i can attempt to find out if the SP itself is not running or if just the connection between SP and the rest of the system malfunctions? Other suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sudheer1

Please try this....

>From the LOADER:

LOADER> priv set test

LOADER> sp reset   (   wait 10 minutes )

LOADER> sp status

If the SP shows ok, then attempt to boot the node and see if it works.

If reset does not work proceed to reboot from LOADER

priv set test

sp reboot

sp status

If this fails too, then reseat the MB again by keeping out 5 mins.

And if the issue persists, then replace the MB

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/FAS22xx_fail_to_boot_with_error_%22The_0_is_not_a_supported_platform...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GidonMarcus

Have you tried power off the whole chassis ?

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1009154

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

TheodorM

Yes, in between every different attempt i powered down the entire chassis. 
I also removed the internal battery pack and bios battery for a few minutes on the troublesome controller.

disno5780

I experienced the same thing, has there been solved issue

Kind Regards

Zalam

sudheer1

Please try this....

>From the LOADER:

LOADER> priv set test

LOADER> sp reset   (   wait 10 minutes )

LOADER> sp status

If the SP shows ok, then attempt to boot the node and see if it works.

If reset does not work proceed to reboot from LOADER

priv set test

sp reboot

sp status

If this fails too, then reseat the MB again by keeping out 5 mins.

And if the issue persists, then replace the MB

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/FAS22xx_fail_to_boot_with_error_%22The_0_is_not_a_supported_platform...

disno5780

Dear Sir,

Thank for the response from you, I have tried what you suggested, but got an error in SP as shown below.

LOADER-A> priv set test

Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use them only when directed to do so by support personnel.

LOADER-A*> sp reset

NOTE : If your console connection is through the Service Processor, it will be disconnected

Do you want to reset the Service Processor now? (y/n) :? y

Console connection through the Service Processor will now be dropped

LOADER-A*>

LOADER-A*> sp status

Error talking to the Service Processor

Error (errcode=-1)

LOADER-A*>

LOADER-A*> priv set test

Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use them only when directed to do so by support personnel.

LOADER-A*> sp reboot

NOTE : If your console connection is through the Service Processor,it will be disconnected

Do you want to reboot the Service Processor now? (y/n) :? y

Console connection through the Service Processor will now be dropped

LOADER-A*> sp status

Error talking to the Service Processor

Error (errcode=-1)

Are there any other alternatives besides having to replace the motherboard?

Kind Regards,

Zalam Sudisno

akiendl

you can try to completely re-seat  the mainboard. If that does not work you will need a technical case to have it reviewed.

ak.

Public