Legacy Product Discussions

NDMPCOPY Query

oneshotshearer

Hello,

I was asked to perform an NDMPCOPY of data.  This was from one controller to another.

I kicked off the following task from a unix client using SSH commands (so it wont lock up the controller)

ssh sccnas02 ndmpcopy -da root:xxxxxxxx /vol/thistle_a/topdir/data 172.31.241.4:/vol/scctmp01/topdir/Thistle_A/Data

I wasnt sure if this was successful or not as when I checked the log:

sccnas02> rdfile /etc/log/ndmpcopy.20110517

"May 17 15:11:37 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Starting ndmpcopy operation
May 17 15:11:37 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Auto negotiated to version 4
May 17 22:57:58 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Transfer successful
May 17 22:57:58 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Exception in message reader for source
May 17 22:57:58 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Exception in message reader for destination
May 17 22:57:58 GMT [ndmpc:4]: operation interrupted
java.lang.InterruptedException: operation interrupted
        at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
        at netapp.cmds.ndmpc.messagereader.NdmpMessageReader.run(NdmpMessageReader.java:132)
May 17 22:57:58 GMT [ndmpc:4]: operation interrupted
java.lang.InterruptedException: operation interrupted
        at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
        at netapp.cmds.ndmpc.messagereader.NdmpMessageReader.run(NdmpMessageReader.java:132)
May 17 22:57:59 GMT [ndmpc:4]: Ndmpcopy done"

Is there another method/ place where I can confirm if this was a successful copy - unfortunately there was other data being copied into the "scctmp01" volume so not as easy as comparing the size of volumes.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks,

Mike.

4 REPLIES 4

jakub_wartak

Hi,

i would invoke the ndmpcopy with "-d" switch (debug) and see what happens on the console. Ndmpcopy displays a lot of info during runtime so it is best to just read the output.

-Jakub.

oneshotshearer

Thanks Jakub,

Have kicked it off and will check the results - I take it the "rdfile /etc/log/ndmpcopy.20110518" on the source controller is the only log files which can be used to check if successful or not?  What about Filerview on the source/ target?

Thanks again.

deepakk

There are two operations the ndmpcopy kicks off when you invoke the command. One is dump & other is restore. The entry for dump & restore gets logged into /etc/backup file. You can always validate the status of the dump & restore in this file. If any of the operation(Dump or Restore) got failed that implies your ndmpcopy was not successful.

stephan_koerner

I discovered the same problem and found the Bug 357676:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=357676

So the ndmpcopy command is successfully executed.

Public