Legacy Product Discussions

Using a DS14 MK2 AT-FCX as DAS on Qlogic QL2460 ??

TYREDANIELY

Hello,

I am brand-new to the forum, so bear with me.

I've done a bit of searching, but have not found a DEFINITIVE answer.

I have a few ESXi Hosts with Qlogic QL2460 4gbps FC HBAs

I've found a local company that has SEVERAL DS14MK2 arrays very cheap and would like to know has ANYONE successfully gotten one of these to work as DIRECT ATTACHED STORAGE.

I would like to use FreeNAS as the O/S, but if there is something better, please suggest.  I would like to remain with RAID-Z (ZFS)

Any help, photos, diagrams, suggestions, would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

abowden

While I cannot vouch for your situation, I think it's worth a try. I have a QLogic 2340 and have tested it only on Windows, for personal enjoyment. Let me remind you that this configuration is of course not supported. A quick google search will explain more detail about using the shelf as a JBOD. I do recommend that you give Data ONTAP a try when it is possible!

TYREDANIELY

Thanks Alex! I am currently using another TOTALLY un-supported configuration with a Netapp Appliance. I scored a Storevault S500 for $50 off Craigslist and with the existing software/firmware in place, the unit will only support the proprietary Netapp “serialed” hard drives. Well, on the back of the unit, there is a black panel that covers TWO PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports and standard USB 2.0 ports. I installed FreeNAS onto a bootable USB stick, booted the appliance off it, and shoved the array full of off the shelf 1TB Hard Drives. So for $50, I have a 12TB JBOD iSCSI array.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public