NetApp Learning Services Discussions

Information about Snaprestore

luis_luis

Hi,

I am reading about Snaprestore in the Data Protection Solutions Guide and there explain that Snaprestore restores Files, Volumes but there no goes so on... and I need some information about what does snaprestore do.. I know that snaprestore can revert volumes, and files, but there's no some information about if it can revert directory or qtrees?.... I read about it can't revert LUNS so my question is it.... Snaprestore can reverts volumes, files and qtrees or directory?.

Best Regards.

3 REPLIES 3

luis_luis

Many thanks for your answers,

I will going to test with the Simulator to do with the information that I need, if anybody knows please let me know.

Thanks

Best Regards,

ashley_thrift

To clarify: yes, snap restore can restore single files or volumes (or aggregates) -- but no, it definitely cannot restore directories or qtrees.

In order to restore a directory, you would need to do a drag/drop or cp (via .snapshot) from CIFS/NFS, or use ndmpcopy from the command line.

LUNs should be snapshotted and reverted using SnapDrive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-A-

ekashpureff

What you're reading is all correct. It could also restore an aggregate, but I wouldn't ever do that.

There's a thread from last month regarding snapshots and snap reserve on aggrs on here you may wish to search for and read.

Don't just study for the exam - play with this stuff on a simulator install.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Fastlane NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.fastlaneus.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public