Network Storage Protocols Discussions

CIFS: SMB2 on Linux clients?

Hi all;

we're trying (and failing) to mount a NetApp CIFS share on Linux boxes in SMB2 mode. Situation so far:

* Mounting the NetApp CIFS share using SMB2 works well on Windows 7 clients, so I assume the NetApp has SMB2 correctly enabled.

* Mounting CIFS shares exposed by a Windows 2012 file server using SMB2 or even SMB3 works well on these Linux boxes so I assume these machines are generally able to speak to a SMB2+ server.

* However, mounting the NetApp CIFS share on the Linux machines using any "newer" version of SMB reproducibly fails:

kaleid:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o vers=2.0,nodfs,credentials=/home/kristian/bin/filer,uid=kr,gid=kr //192.168.1.249/data /mnt
mount error(95): Operation not supported

[  967.925655] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95
[  972.198283] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed

Known problem? Any idea how to work around this? System is a FAS2020 running OnTAP 7.3.7P3.

TIA and all the best,

Kristian

2 REPLIES 2

Re: CIFS: SMB2 on Linux clients?

Hi,

have you ever found a solution for this behaviour. I get the same. I was able to get a connection with smbclient but not with mount.cifs and the kernel cifs module

Re: CIFS: SMB2 on Linux clients?

I need some further information to help you with this. The type of Linux client, the version, the kernel version, etc.

I'd also like to know the serial number of the filer in question.

I'd also like to see packet captures attempting the access to the cifs share.

I'd also like to know the name of the cifs share.

I'd also like to know the ip address of the client attempting to access the cifs share as well as what IP address on the filer it's attempting to access.

There's a lot of variables here that could be causing problems so I apologize about all the questions.

Forums