Network Storage Protocols Discussions

FAS2020 Active/Active Configuration

doug_dockter

I have a dual controller FAS2020 set up in an active/active configuration.  Do the configurations for each controller need to be exactly the same for this to work in the advent of a takeover?  By that I mean do the same protocols need to be started, the network interfaces set up the same way (VIF), etc.

1 REPLY 1

Re: FAS2020 Active/Active Configuration

mhouser
Hi Doug -
The Active/Active Configuration Guide gives requirements for the various active/active configurations - for example Setup requirements and restrictions for standard active/active configurations  states among other things:
  • Nodes must be attached to the same network and the Network Interface Cards (NICs) must be configured correctly.
  • The same system software, such as Common Internet File System (CIFS), Network File System (NFS), or SyncMirror, must be licensed and enabled on both nodes.
Note:
If a takeover occurs, the takeover node can provide only the functionality for the licenses installed on it. If the takeover node does not have a license that was being used by the partner node to serve data, your active/active configuration loses functionality after a takeover.
You can find the Active/Active Config Guide for your version of Data ONTAP at:
Also, the Active/Active Best Practices Guide my provide some help.
Hope this is some help,
Marty Houser
Senior Technical Writer
NetApp
Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public