Network and Storage Protocols

Is it Possible to remove the "everyone group" from a CIFS share?

kstockbridge1

Hi,

Is it Possible to remove the "everyone group" from a CIFS share?

The filer will not let me remove the everyone group.

If I set the "everyone group" share permissions with all otions unticked i.e nopermisions, then other domain security groups also have no access to the share!

The best I can do is set the share "read only for everyone group" then other domain security groups have specific read write access.

The problem is "everyone group can still read.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matthias_anderau

Hi,

Yes its possible to remove the Everone group from a CIFS share.

The easiest way is to use the Windows explorer as explained in KB: https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb54342

But you have to add at least one other security group to the share when removing Everyone.

BTW: if you leave the Everyone group in but untick all permission no one can access the share anymore, this is caused because the most restricted permission counts (in that case Everyone with no permission).

Hope this helps..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

matthias_anderau

Hi,

Yes its possible to remove the Everone group from a CIFS share.

The easiest way is to use the Windows explorer as explained in KB: https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb54342

But you have to add at least one other security group to the share when removing Everyone.

BTW: if you leave the Everyone group in but untick all permission no one can access the share anymore, this is caused because the most restricted permission counts (in that case Everyone with no permission).

Hope this helps..

RichardSopp

Alternatively if you want to configure this from the Filers CLI you can use the following command:

cifs access -delete sharename everyone

Where sharename is the name of your share.

Make sure you have valid groups / permissions assigned at the share level before removing the everyone group.

Public